IGNORED

Cold Start RATTLE - WhatUp?

Michael B

My 2011 RT has over 40K on the clock. I change synthetic motor oil every 3,500 miles and am particular about maintenance. A month or so ago I noticed a small "rattle" that sounded like something loose upon cold startup. It's gotten louder. It lasts for about a minute or so, then gets a little quieter, and is almost gone when at operating temps. A little throttle makes it go away. I removed all front plastic and couldn't find anything loose. It seems to be coming from just behind the left cylinder head (sitting on the bike) with no rattle behind the right cylinder head.

One of my riding buddies thinks it is a chain tensioner going bad, but that's only a guess. It's an ugly sound to me. Would appreciate any help here! Thanks much.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem resolved.

It was, believe it or not, the viscosity of my motor oil! I was running 10W40 full synthetic as my summer oil (reference a previous "10W40 vs 20W50 for Summer" string a couple months back). The rattle upon cold startup was coming from the chain tensioner behind the left cylinder head (sitting on the bike). The rattle was rather loud and would last until drive off.

Took the bike to a local independent repair shop that specializes in BMW's and left it overnight. The owner and I started it the next morning and he said the rattle from the chain tensioner was caused by the wrong weight motor oil. He suggested I put in 15W50 synthetic and the rattle should disappear. I did as suggested the same day, and the cold start rattle immediately got shorter and after a dozen or so startups is gone. The man is a genius!

Just wanted to let you guys know that motor oil makes a difference…as we all know from exhaustive oil strings on this forum.

Case closed!

Archived