IGNORED

Shift Assist inop

C Wallace

My RT was in the garage all summer for waiting on its new shock. It was just a short ride to the dealer for the repair, but on the way there it was obvious the shift assist had quit working. No amount of pressure on the shift lever would cause it to move unless I relaxed the throttle or clutched. Not the way it worked prior to the stop ride. My dealer agrees that it is broken, but has no idea how to fix it. Says it's too new a system, and he doesn't know that much about it yet. There was a service bulletin on the shift assist that was completed, but had no effect.

Has anybody else seen anything like this?

When closing a deal on a new RT the dealer emailed me and said all RT's that have had the shocks replaced now have a issue with the shift assist pro not working and they were working with BMW to resolve the issue. I spoke to another dealer and they only said there was a software update that should resolve everything. Does anyone have any further insight? Has anyone gotten their bike back with issues?

Just before the "shock" crisis, I took my bike in for it's first service. When I collected the bike and headed down the road I noticed immediately that the quick shifter wasn't working.

I returned to the dealer who took the bike into the workshop. Five minutes later the bike was returned, fixed. The dealer explained that after certain updates etc, it was necessary to re-calibrate the system. I didn't get the procedure exactly, but it involved putting the bike on the centre stand and running it up and down the gearbox at idle, leaving it in each gear for a few seconds.

That's not a shift assist-specific issue, although there's no doubt that is exactly what your bike needed. That procedure is used to calibrate the gear position indicator -- I've used it on my 2012 camhead RT while playing around with a GS911.

It makes sense that the shift assist won't work if the computer wouldn't understand the gear position indicator signal without the calibration.

Good for you.

My SAP never worked well from the start and then stopped working.First repair attempt noted improper voltage at the SAP on computer. New SAP was ordered second attempt, the installed voltage test normal at SAP but not working. After 3 hours of TS the tech through the problem to BMW support.

I will call the shop this AM and suggest they get the so called unlock code for SAP. Or have them try switching between ride modes to see if this helps.90 % of the time I am in Dynamic mode. Quite concerned at this point.

Had the same problem after picking up my repaired bike two days ago. I didn't realise that this was a known issue - thought it was something I was doing wrong. Anyway, after 5 mins and some fiddling with Road Rain Dynamic mode it all cleared. It's been fine since then.

Had the same problem after picking up my repaired bike two days ago. I didn't realise that this was a known issue - thought it was something I was doing wrong. Anyway, after 5 mins and some fiddling with Road Rain Dynamic mode it all cleared. It's been fine since then.

Good for you , What were you specificaly doing with the ride modes to get it to work ?

Interesting, I just got my bike (new) after waiting for the shock replacement. I know nothing about SAP except I didn't really want it but it came as a standard feature. I tried it today just to see - seemed just like changing gear without the clutch - v clunky. I will try the Road/Rain/Road thing...

Repaired, the tech had to order a second unit. The system works better as you upshift. Its amazing how fast it upshifts WFO throttle upper revs the system shifts faster than humanly possable.

Its amazing how fast it upshifts WFO throttle upper revs the system shifts faster than humanly possable.

That's its job!

Don't you think we know that , I guess not.

Steady on chaps, don't bite his head off. He's just celebrating one of the many wonderful features and delights of this fabulously good bike.

Gear shift assist was one of those things I'd never had and never missed - now I wouldn't be without it.

Ye Gods it's good to be back on it again. And screw the BMW naysayers, this is by far the best bike I have ever ridden.

Any thoughts on smooth down shifting with this system? Upshifts seem smooth enough as long as you're quick and decisive with your left foot.

Pat

Any thoughts on smooth down shifting with this system? Upshifts seem smooth enough as long as you're quick and decisive with your left foot.

Pat

Only when the throttle is completely rolled-off and decelerating. Never from 3 to 2 or lower.

Pat

Only when the throttle is completely rolled-off and decelerating. Never from 3 to 2 or lower.

Apologies 3-2 is fine below about 35 mph. 2-1 is never much fun

like the way it blips the throttle any time you shift down.

That sounds interesting, I'll get out today and give the throttle off technique a try.

Pat

Its amazing how fast it upshifts WFO throttle upper revs the system shifts faster than humanly possable.

That's its job!

Don't you think we know that , I guess not.

Well, from your comment 'Its amazing how fast it upshifts' I would say no. ;-)

Try this on downshift:

Shut throttle down all the way, then give the throttle a little blip just before the downshift.

With a little bit of practice the downshift will be butter smooth.

Try this on downshift:

Shut throttle down all the way, then give the throttle a little blip just before the downshift.

With a little bit of practice the downshift will be butter smooth.

This is the method I use; it works perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...

You have to be going very slow to downshift in the lower gears and with the throttle fully closed, you CAN get into 1st smoothly but using the clutch is easier...

Its cool how it blips the motor.

Archived