IGNORED

cheap fix for the RT "wedgie"

neil_wilcox

When I stripped down my 05 RT to do some winter upgrading, I discovered that the seat adjustment mechanism in the front is different from the 1150's and therefore does not lend itself to use of the seat jacks. I found that a 1" hard rubber furniture bumper, turned over and stuffed into the lower slot for the adjustment rod, prevents the rod from sitting in its slot and instead can be positioned above the "spur" which normally prevents the rod from jumping up. This elevates the front of the seat about 3/8" but allows the back of the seat to remain in the lower position, accomplishing what the seat jacks would do. I think this will work fine on the road when the weather warms up.

Neil

Bill,

the seat nose is prevented from flipping up by leaving the rubber bands in place. The amount of stretch on the bands is about the same as it is when the rod is placed in the high position. Any firm plug about 1" wide will fit exactly in the slot where the rod was, and prevent it from snapping back down. If I ever figure out how to send a pic to this site, I would be happy to send one in.

neil

I tried it with a wood dowel and it does raise the front of the seat nicely. Rear mounts are a little shy of dropping into the forward but could probably be forced. Thanks for the tip.

Archived