IGNORED

2010 R1200 RT; New to me

cris nitro

Hey all, I sold my 1150 finally and just picked up a 2010 Polar Metallic 1200 with just under 12,000 miles on Saturday. Drove up to Boston area with my trailer and brought it home. I have pictures, but have no idea how to post them. The seller was a very good guy, had the valves adjusted before I picked it up and gave me a bunch of goodies for the bike. Some of them I will be selling as I don't need all of them.

I got to ride the bike twice over the Labor day weekend and just love how the bike feels compared to my 1150. More power, better handling and lots of additional comfort creatures. As far as looks, well let's just that I firmly believe that the 1150 is one of the best looking bikes, ever.

I have a couple of questions, for those more familiar with the 1200's.

1. ESA; I cannot get the button to switch into "preload mode" It is stuck in the "one helmet" setting. The button changes the damping perfectly. I have tried to hold the button down for quite awhile, but it doesn't do anything.

2. Seat heaters; the switch turns on the driver seat properly, off, 1 and 2. I took my wife for a ride on a 90' day and her seat was on full heat all the time. The seat icon was always on with the 1 or 2 bars showing when I turned it on. When I unplugged the rear seat wire, the icon disappeared except for when I turn the switch on.

3. Radio; I know, I probably won't use it much, but would still like it to work properly. I cannot figure what is wrong with the volume. No matter which way or how much I spin the wonder wheel, the volume is set at 6 or 7.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Cris

I did get a manual as well as a separate manual for the radio. I've pretty much got most of it covered, but there is no info on the ESA. I'm wondering if there is a separate manual or supplement for it.

As far as the radio, I can't find anything about why the volume is set on two settings only. And the manual does not talk about the rear seat being controlled separately from the drivers seat.

The switch for the rear seat is sort of under the right edge of the rear seat. You don't control it from your seat.

As for the radio...the wonder wheel should raise and lower the volume.

The switch for the rear seat is sort of under the right edge of the rear seat. You don't control it from your seat.

Ahhaa! Found the seat switch. THANK YOU.

To change the preload the bike has to be stopped. Then, press and hold the ESA switch.

I've tried that, bike running, stopped in neutral, hold the button for over 10 seconds, nothing. Just wondering if there is any special ritual I need to do, such as a series of short and long holds?

Ahhaa! Found the seat switch. THANK YOU.

Middle position is off

Seat switch works perfectly, thanks.

Thanks for the section on the ESA adjustment, but it still will not change the load setting. If I continuously bump the button, it continues to cycle thru the dampening settings, all the time showing the single helmet icon. If I hold the button down for a loong time, it just shows the current setting (dampening and single helmet) and stays that way. Wondering if I have a faulty switch?

Also still playing with the radio, but having issues with the volume.

Blind Squirrel

I *THINK* I set my ESA from one helmet to two with the bike running in neutral, on the side stand. I press and hold it until it either flashes or two helmets appear. I will play with it when I get home from work and let you know.

Morning Chris

I don't play with the radios on the new BMW 1200's as none of my bikes have radios & the ones I work on I have no real reason to use the radio.

I do have a service bulletin on making sure the radio is not in Bluetooth mode if volume adjustment complaints, the bulletin goes on to say it might not even show on the radio.

There are two connectors for the rear shock located under the pilot's seat near the rear brake reservoir, right side- you may try disconnecting and reconnecting them to make sure you have good contact.

Frank

Afternoons Cris

It really doesn't say much-- just to look at the possibility of Bluetooth being enabled if the volume control doesn't work correctly.

Tried turning off and on the blue tooth. It cancelled the sound with the Bluetooth on and with it on, the radio was stuck on 6/7 on the sound volume.

I'm going to ride up to Hermey's Sat morning and let them look at it. As well as the ESA, still no worky.

Besides these two items, the bike is perfect, it is such and improvement over the 1150, I love riding it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll report back after Sat.

Blind Squirrel

Okay, center stand, bike in neutral, engine running. Hit the ESA switch briefly to get the display, release then press and hold for about three seconds. It switches from one helmet to helmet and luggage mode. Release the button, then press and hold for about three seconds again and it switches to two helmets.

After reading another thread on the ESA, it sounds like the preload adjuster is at the top of the shocks. My bike does not have a preload motor with wires coming out if it at the top of the rear shock. Sounds like my bike doesn't have the preload adjustment???

Went to the dealer on Saturday. They could not get the preload to adjust nor could they get the radio volume to work. Sounds like I need to dig a little deeper into both of them. They want me to bring it in for service, but I am not ready for that.

I relooked at the rear shock, I now see the preload adjuster, it is mounted to the side of the shock. I first thought I was looking at a coil.

Archived