IGNORED

valve clearance

walton66

working on my 12k today and the clearances have loosened for a couple since the 6k. Specifically the right exhaust valves are right at .4 up from .37 or so, and the intakes are all between .2 and .25 when they were between .15 and .20. The left exhaust are about .36. Those who have more experience with the cammers, what is the result of riding with the exhaust valves so close to the upper limit for a couple of weeks.

You have probably severely damaged your engine, try to sell it before it's too late.

Just kidding... there is no problem at all with the vales being a few thousandths out of spec for a little while. Besides, the bad thing is clearances that are too tight, not too loose (within reason.)

thanks for the help. I don't think I will be able to pull all of the shims today, and I wanted to use new e-clips when I put it back together so It'll be two orders from Max.

Morning bwpsg42

Personally I try to run the exhaust valves as near the top of spec as I can, or even slightly higher.

The older BMW police boxers even specd a looser exhaust valve setting for the police duty bikes.

They make just a bit more noise but they live a long life that way.

Was the bike overnight cold when you checked yours this time?

I wanted to use new e-clips when I put it back together
The e-clips are re-useable indefinitely, provided they are not damaged in any way. When manufactured they are stamped out. Look at the two edges- you will notice one side is more rounded and the other has a sharper edge. Install with the sharper edge to the outside- this is aircraft practice- just part of my OCD.

Also, running the exhausts (particularly) on the loose side allows them to cool slightly better, remaining on the seat longer to transfer more heat away.

Frank

Archived