IGNORED

California model vs other models

RTnger

I understand BMW has to send CA model specifically made to meet California standards.

Anyone knows the VIN number designation for CA model or non-CA model

What does a CA model have than others don't?

Cars yes, motorcycles no.

California's emission requirements have certainly driven a number of U.S.-specific things (airhead SHED vapor recovery system, K-bike and 4-valve boxer charcoal canister vapor recovery system and catalytic converters), but I don't remember any California-specific bike, going back to the airheads (maybe the first of the SHED-equipped airheads, but even that I'm not sure of because IIRC all of the later airheads were SHED-quipped).

I understand that the reason is basically too few sales in the U.S. to justify separate CA vs. 49-state models, so they were/are all California-compliant.

So, no VIN-identifying numbering to be looking for..

Morning Fernando

Unless things have changed with the 2015 models then ALL BMW (motorcycles) imported to the U.S. are California compliant.

Long ago BMW decided it was easier & more cost efficient to make all BMW U.S. motorcycle imports all-state emission compliant.

Note, BTW, that the same is not necessarily true of other brands. For example, many bike models have an evaporative emission charcoal canister only on California units.

Archived