IGNORED

GPS power

MJDO

Had the wiring harness installed in the front of my bike and was told that it included the necessary hardware to ensure that the voltage would be stepped down to 5V so that it did not blow my GPS. Well, it blew the the GPS and I found out that a full 12V was coming through. Since I've spent the money to get the wiring done I don't want to give up on using it, but need to figure out a reasonably inexpensive way to step the current down. I'm not going to dare do the wiring myself (electrical incompetence) as I guess a fuse block is an option but to buy it and have it installed and the wiring done properly looks like it will cost over $400. The other option is a Zumo -- I've heard that they can plug in directly but not sure that is correct.

Some advice would be welcome!

The other option is a Zumo -- I've heard that they can plug in directly but not sure that is correct.

My new Garmin 590 is running on my bike from 12 VDC. Spec says it's good from 8 - 28 VDC (power plug) or 5 VDC (USB input).

For other models I would check the spec on the Garmin site

Stan

I have an automotive GPS, which has a mini-USB power socket. I attached a generic cigarette lighter outlet from Radio Shack in a protected area under the headlight, and got power from a switched (radio) lead. If the forks are locked, the power is off; otherwise, there is always power, whether the ignition is on or off -- exactly the setup I want. Originally I used a small automotive USB charger (shown in picture), but when I got a new GPS last winter, I switched to the Garmin USB charger, eliminating a connection point. This arrangement has worked well for more than 3 years.

P1030385.JPG

Since I have to buy a new GPS and since I already have the wiring in place the Zumo might be the best way to go. Just gotta be willing to spend more on a GPS than I ever imagined.

This method works but will have the electrical people shaking their heads.

But there are some that can't manage more than the easiest electrical job so instead of beating them up, here is a simple way.

You'll need a Battery Tender charging pigtail (battery rings to SAE)

Powerlet Products:

PAC 024

the "car" charging cord for the GPS.

a fistful of wire ties.

Maybe a roll of electrical tape.

Connect the Tender Pigtail to the battery as normal.

The PAC 024 converts the SAE (Battery Tender) to a female American Power Port (cigarette lighter size)

Plug this into the SAE.

Plug the Garmin car cord into the PAC 024 (female American Power Port)

Run the other end of the Garmin cord carefully to your GPS mount avoiding hot areas and sharp objects. Use the wire ties to secure the loop of extra wire under the seat or under the fairing.

Your GPS wire will be hot as long as the SAE is plugged in, but we normally don't leave our GPS on the bike unless we are using it or unattended.

You can also use the Battery Tender SAE for it's intended purpose to keep the battery up.

For "semi permanent" wrap the SAE and the Female connections with tape to keep the water out and to prevent vibration from loosening them. Make sure the seat doesn't pinch the wires as you reassemble.

Apologies to the electrical guru's, but it will work .

If the forks are locked, the power is off; otherwise, there is always power, whether the ignition is on or off -- exactly the setup I want.

Interesting setup. How does locking the fork turn off the power?

• 2 weeks later...
If the forks are locked, the power is off; otherwise, there is always power, whether the ignition is on or off -- exactly the setup I want.

Interesting setup. How does locking the fork turn off the power?

Locking the fork involves a different key position, which I believe means no power at all unless you tap directly from the battery.
Since I have to buy a new GPS and since I already have the wiring in place the Zumo might be the best way to go. Just gotta be willing to spend more on a GPS than I ever imagined.

Not necessarily. There are some great sub $100 options depending on how resourceful you are.

I took a 12V, switched, fuse box lead (3A) from under my seat, and wired in a 3 adapter cigarette lighter adapter into the glove box and mounted that adapter to the inside w/ red-double stick tape.

I power my Garmin 550 on a Ram mount and my cell phone charger off of my 12RT dash board ram ball mounts.

This set up has worked great for my 15RT and 12RT for the past 4 years and a SS 1000 this summer.

Ride safe,

J

Archived