IGNORED

Torque spec on new 14 RT clutchless shifter bolt

bmwdavid

I just negotiated a deal on a new 14 RT. The dealer said they were waiting on a tool from BMW to torque a bolt for the clutchless shifting. Has anyone heard of this and would it affect riding the bike until the first service and then having it done? Has anyone had any experience with Second Wind BMW in NH? Hoping they are a good dealer to work with. Looks like I will be riding a fully loaded Blue RT as early as next Saturday.

Funny, just got off the phone with Second Wind service. My bike is complete except that they are waiting on the tool you speak of. Next week I guess. I like the dealership, been buying bikes from them for a Long time. :thumbsup:

Been infatuated with my new toy anyway, check ride tales in a bit. ;)

Pat

This was a recall which happens just before the Stop Ride. Mine was done along with the shock swap but unaware of any special tool. They had several bolts on order, mine was in and waiting for me since the Stop Ride. Could they be waiting on the part?

Jay

The service manager said they needed a tool to get to the bolt. Said the bolt needed to be torqued to a new spec. Did not mention a new bolt being needed.

Mine was fixed last week, along with the shock. There is a new bolt, and a special tool is required to reach it. The new bolt has Loctite on the end. I could tell no difference in the shift assist performance before and after the fix. It was spectacular in both instances!

For us Aussies

I have had my dealer check the "recall" notices for my bike multiple times and there is none for this screw.

Then the Head Mechanic told me that our BMW Importer is quite proactive in that they will fix any outstanding recalls/updates before sending out the bikes to the dealers, if they exist at the time of sale.

As an example, all 2014 1200RT have their shocks replaced in Melbourne before they send it out to the dealers now (the ones they still have in stock before the upgrade).

Mine was fixed last week, along with the shock. There is a new bolt, and a special tool is required to reach it. The new bolt has Loctite on the end. I could tell no difference in the shift assist performance before and after the fix. It was spectacular in both instances!

This is interesting. My shift assist unit was installed after the sale. It works well upshifting from 4th to 5th and 6th, not well from 3rd to 4th, but is useless downshifting. Based on your description of "spectacular", it sounds like I have either a software issue or an installation issue. Any thoughts?

Weston

This is interesting. My shift assist unit was installed after the sale. It works well upshifting from 4th to 5th and 6th, not well from 3rd to 4th, but is useless downshifting. Based on your description of "spectacular", it sounds like I have either a software issue or an installation issue. Any thoughts?

Weston

Mine works smoothly on upshifts from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, and 5th to 6th. The 2nd to 3rd shift is okay, just slightly clunky. Don't move the throttle on upshifts.

Downshifts are smooth from 6th, all the way down to 3rd. Back off completely on the throttle on downshifts.

My bike came with shift assist

Weston

Mine works smoothly on upshifts from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, and 5th to 6th. The 2nd to 3rd shift is okay, just slightly clunky. Don't move the throttle on upshifts.

Downshifts are smooth from 6th, all the way down to 3rd. Back off completely on the throttle on downshifts.

My bike came with shift assist

I agree with TLC - use the throttle as TLC wrote above.

Jay

Archived