IGNORED

6000 mile service

Tom V

I may be corrected but, they check valve clearence and sync the injectors change the engine, drive and tranny oils and then charge you two of your lembs your first born and your credit card.

What do they do at the 6000 mile service for the 1200 RT?? Is this something that I can do myself? Any help would be great!

Thanks!

do the oil, tranny and rear end. very easy. take it for the 6k service and after they quote then remember that you did those 3 things. you'll save some decent bucks.

What do they do at the 6000 mile service for the 1200 RT?? Is this something that I can do myself? Any help would be great!

Thanks!

From the Maintenance Schedule:

Every 10,00 km (6,000 miles)

Read the fault-code memory with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system

BMW Integral ABS - Conduct bleeding test with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system

Change engine oil

Check valve clearance and adjust if necessary

Check secondary spark plugs

Check hydraulic clutch system

Check front brake disk for wear

Check front brake pads for wear

Check brake fluid for front brake

Check rear brake disk for wear

Check rear brake pads for wear

Check brake fluid for rear brake

Check throttle cable for smooth movement rubbing, kinks and play

Check tire inflation pressures and thread depth

Check side support for smooth movement

Check side stand for smooth movement

Check lighting and signal system

Conduct operating check of the engine starting interlock

Check synchronization of throttle body cables

Test ride as final inspection and function check

Read the fault-code memory with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system

Confirm BMW Service by entry in onboard documentation

They also re-torque the heads and valve train.

Not sure about that. Re torqueing the heads is done once at the 600 mile service. Other than checking codes and a separate annual or bi-annual brake service (on ABS models), the 6K service is really just an oil/filter change, valve adjust and throttle (cable) sync.

Just did mine at 5600 miles and everything was fine.

I think I will also do the oil myself. Does anyone know if using Mobil 1 will cause me problems, especially with warranty?

I think the transmission and final drive never have to be changed.

I believe first_beemer has posted on the tranny final drive lube issue... I am inclined to do mine around 15-20K mark after seeing that post...

chris

All the "pros" say to wait on the synthetic till after break in (approx 12-20K miles) and the consumption has dropped to almost nothing.

Synthetics (especially Mobil 1) are "too slippery" (highly tecnical term cool.gif) and don't allow rings to seat against the cylinder walls.

Use good stanndard oil, run it through the revs, and then go to synthetic.

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, I'm one of those "pros", whatever that means. I put synthetic into my bikes at the first oil change and have never had a problem. You are quoting what is essentially urban legend, to use the mildest term I can think of. All Corvettes, Porches, most Audi's and most BMW cars come with Mobil-1 synthetic right from the showroom floor. None of them take any longer to wear in than normal cars. Since the R259 engine is more car like than most motorcycle engines, there is no reason to think it would be any different. In fact, a goodly number of folks here have found their oil consumption to actually go down upon switching to synthetic.

You think wrong. eek.gif The trans and oil should be done at 600. Don`t use synth. eng oil untill 20K. Synth oil is a waste of money if you service it every 3 to 5 K. dopeslap.gif

DO use synth. oil in the trans. thumbsup.gif

You think wrong. eek.gif The trans and oil should be done at 600. Don`t use synth. eng oil untill 20K. Synth oil is a waste of money if you service it every 3 to 5 K. dopeslap.gif

DO use synth. oil in the trans. thumbsup.gif

Per BMW, the engine oil and filter every 6K, unless in extreme conditions, then 3K. The trans every 36K, and the final drive is lifetime fluid.

If you choose to do otherwise, that is your call.

Jim cool.gif

The trans should be serviced at the 600 mile mark also.

Not according to my manual or the dealer. The R1200 series is not due for service until 36K.

Jim cool.gif

Then the dealer that gave me that info was all wet. eek.gif

I did mine at 600 miles and will do it again this wekk at 25K. BMW also claims the final drive is a lifetime no service component. dopeslap.gif Maybe you should see my post on that too. thumbsup.gif

Then the dealer that gave me that info was all wet. eek.gif

I did mine at 600 miles and will do it again this wekk at 25K. BMW also claims the final drive is a lifetime no service component. dopeslap.gif Maybe you should see my post on that too. thumbsup.gif

I have no problem with doing it at whatever intervals you like. I was just stating the factory listed requirements.

Personally I don't see any harm in changing the fluid more than the requirement, including the final drive.

Jim cool.gif

Archived