IGNORED

K1100LT Rear strut spring too stiff?

news_by_KKO

Hi,

I just got a 96 K1100LT with 26k on the clock that runs and rides like a champ. Except.....

The suspension seems stiff and is starting to hurt my back. Seems like the rear is always bouncing up because the spring is way too stiff. I always ride alone, weight about 190lbs and the preload is set to the lowest preload setting.

Do I need a new strut spring? If so where do I get it? Or a new strut?

Thanks

Need to know what shock is on the bike. Stock? Aftermarket?

If it's aftermarket with a rebound damping adjuster, since you say it bounces up, that's it.

At the least. post a pic of rear shock.

If you need a new shock, I know a guy who knows a guy that can get a decent price on new Hagon built for your weight.

Hi!

Thanks for the response. I discovered the old guy I got the bike from had turned the dampening adjustment screw all the way out on the stock rear strut. I turned it in all the way and now the bike is much better.

Its still a bit rough for my taste but at least its safe and ride-able.

All the way in will give you a slow reacting shock. Try it in the middle by counting the number of clicks or turns from all in to all out then split the difference.

What about spring preload?

Note where it is now and loosen or soften the spring preload.

At the top end of the stock shock, there is a serrated collar. This adds or subtracts spring pressure or preload.

In the toolkit, you should hopefully have a spanner or C Shaped wrench with a handle that fits grooves in the collar.

Turn the collar clockwise to soften the ride.

In a pinch, wrap a rag around the collar and use a Channel lock or "water pump" pliers to turn it a few "clicks" or "clunks" really.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

The pre-load only has 4 setting and its already at the lowest setting. I will try turning the damping screw out a tinny bit to see if its better.

TX!

Archived