IGNORED

Second Repair-I spoke too soon

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Ok, so I got the RT back after it's first repair in 82,000+ miles. You recall from the "My First Repair" that I needed a new starter which was covered by my extended care warranty...

This morning I went out the start the bike. I turned the key, and the fuel injection tried to initialize, but would not stop. In other words, the pump continued to whine until I turned the key off...

I hope my bike wasn't designed to last 82K miles and then fall apart, piece by piece! confused.gif

At least this didn't happen 60 miles outside of Busted Hump Nevada.. grin.gif

Tomorrow I'll call AAA and have them haul it back to my dealer. What a drag.

Steve in So Cal

I've found dealers to often cause more problems than they fix. I got tired of paying them to fix a car and then spending all evening fixing it myself. So I quit going to them. So my first thought is it is likely to be something they did. But I'm not sure what could cause the symptoms you describe. I'm not sure what logic shuts it off. Someone will pipe in with whether it stops on fuel pressure or if it is timed. I was under the impression it was timed which would point to the motronic but they hardly ever fail so my guess it it is a pressure thing. Given that, I wonder how pressure is sensed but my wonder would be in the area of the fuel pressure regulator. Glod it is under warranty and glad AAA will haul it for you. Relatively painless. Cheers, Jerry

I'm with Jerry.

Now that the warranty has expired, I will be doing as much of the maintenance on the RT as I can manage. I bought the BMW CD and a Haynes manual for it plus downloaded all the handy dandy docs from this great site and IBMWR.

While under warranty, I really didn't have any problems with either Motorwerks of Barrington or TagSport (when Steve was there) when they serviced it. However, after a couple of substandard repairs on my beloved Bimmer and Deb's Audi A4 at the BMW and Audi dealers, which are too long to list here, I have since done 95 percent of my own maintenance and R&R on our cars.

The best story was picking up her Audi after the LCA recall and awaiting the final inspection from their "QC" department. I signed all the paperwork, they handed me the keys and we drove off...for about 200 yards! I touched the brakes and an almighty thump was felt through the pedal and in the car. Turn's out they replaced everything but never tightened nor torqued down the actual Lower Control Arms themselves plus they left tools under the hood!!

I won't even go into the details of my tirade against the shop...this was the second lousy repair they did - the first was a replaced sunroof assembly (the sunroof crapped out within 6 months!)and they didn't even install it flush with the roof! We sold the Audi and replaced it with a Subaru Forester...we are both REALLY satisfied with THAT decision. The Subie has been flawless...

After all this, I way prefer to have my and Deb's lives in my own hands thumbsup.gif!!

This morning I went out the start the bike. I turned the key, and the fuel injection tried to initialize, but would not stop. In other words, the pump continued to whine until I turned the key off...

Steve in So Cal

Steve,

About the only culprits in your failure would be a failed Motronics (rare but has happened) or a stuck relay. The fuel pump relay has 12V on it any time the ignition is switched on.

The Motronics sends a ground to pick the fuel pump relay. I suppose the wire could be shorted to ground on the coil side (pin 85) of that relay.

There is no pressure sensing, it's just a timed signal from the Motronics.

Mick

AdventurePoser

Thanks, guys, for feeling my pain...

My service tech, a guy I really respect did make a comment to me after the first repair that my battery charge seemed abnormally low. Maybe a short is the problem...

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal, riding his VFR

AdventurePoser

My service tech, a guy I really respect did make a comment to me after the first repair that my battery charge seemed abnormally low. Maybe a short is the problem...

Cheers,

Here is the update...I got a new maintenance free battery, and found out that when the key is in the OFF position, current was still being drawn from the radio. Go figure.

So, remember to lock the front wheel over and a new battery...I'm good, again!

Cheers,

Steve

Here is the update...I got a new maintenance free battery, and found out that when the key is in the OFF position, current was still being drawn from the radio. Go figure.

Or just turn off the radio, no?

Or just turn off the radio, no?

Radios draw some current even if they are switched off. I guess it is to keep in memory station settings and may be other things. In cars it does not matter because of the bigger batteries. With the small batteries in the bikes it makes a difference. I know that in the showroom (I sell them) I have to put a trickle charger on a LT or any bike with a radio more often than others.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Steve

On the UK bikes the switch is marked OFF at the steering lock position and R (for radio I presume) at the ignition off position. That said, I wouldn't dare park a bike without the steering locked anywhere in the UK.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser

... That said, I wouldn't dare park a bike without the steering locked anywhere in the UK.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

A lesson learned the hard way, but a lesson learned nonetheless! thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Steve

Archived