IGNORED

RT ESA problem

simonjrwinter

simonjrwinter

Ok, I have a 2010 R1200RT with ESA

While I can adjust the damping between sport, normal and comfort, the preload is stuck on two helmets!

I've read up and I know this is not an uncommon problem.

I disconnected the wires to the top of the shock (where I believe the preload is adjusted from)

I applied 12v to two of the pins and ran the motor to the stop. I then reversed the wires and ran it to the stop the other end. I did this a couple more times to make sure it was working and free, but upon reassembly, still no luck with the preload....

Two questions, firstly, is the motor at the top of the shock the one that adjusts the preload?

Also....what do I do next if it is the preload motor and it is working ok?

Simon

Afternoon Simon

Yes, motor at top is preload adjuster.

Are you adjusting the preload with engine running & trans in neutral? Does dash indication start flashing after trying to move preload?

If so then possibly the position indication in the ESA is not correctly talking to the computer.

Maybe your dealer can re-teach the computer to recognize the shock.

simonjrwinter

Yes, trying to adjust with engine running and bike in neutral.

The way I understand it is pushing the ESA button cycles through the damper setting, but holding down the ESA button brings the preload settings (helmets) into play is that correct? if so it doesn't work, it's just two helmets all the time, no flashing.

Guess it's a dealer job then.....damn.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks soggy. Actually if it is the switch, it wouldn't break my heart. I just bought the bike and I am concerned the shock is bad. Switches are free! I'll try disconnecting the battery and see if that helps.

Clip --While I can adjust the damping between sport, normal and comfort, the preload is stuck on two helmets!

I've read up and I know this is not an uncommon problem.

Morning simonjrwinter

It really doesn't sound switch related as you can use the switch to switch the other functions.

If you disconnect the battery don't forget to do a new TPS re-learn after re-connect.

Afternoon Cris

Pretty doubtful, if the switch malfunctioned in the hold position then it would just revert back to dampening control. It doesn't sound like that is happening.

Same switch, same switch contacts so I just don't see how it could be the switch if the dampening control is operating correctly.

Disconnected the battery, hooked back up, no love on either radio or the preload. It is time to take it to the dealer and get it diagnosed. Hopefully, it's nothing too crazy like a bad shock. The seller of the bike is working with me and I want to keep it that way. My fault, I checked out a few of the features, but not the radio or the damping. Everything else works just like it should. I asked him if everything worked and he confirmed it did. Shame on me.

I would like to hear back from the OP on his outcome.

• 1 month later...

Closing this topic. The dealer replaced both the multi controller (radio) and the left switch cluster. This fixed both the radio problem as well as the ESA (preload). Amazing they only charged 1.5 hours for all the work including the diagnostics.

Very happy with Hermy's BMW in Port Clinton, Pa. Good people.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Cris

Archived