IGNORED

2004 R1150RT running lights

beemerbill13

Hi, I just bought a 2004 RT that the original owner altered the wiring on to use the turn signals as running lights.

In other words, when the bike is on, the blinkers are luminated.

In my state, running yellow running lights is illegal.

I am looking for some help in how this wiring alteration occurred and how it can be reversed.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks for your help!

Bill cool.gif

Beemerbill13@yahoo.com

'93 - R100RT

'94 - R11RS

'04 - R1150RT

...unless your bike is rewired for separate running light/signal lights, in which case you need dual-filament 1157 red bulbs.

Most likely, the bike has a Kisan Signalminder installed. This is both a turn-signal canceller (does your bike have self-cancelling signals? Then it's got one) and a "running light" controller. AFAIK, amber running lights on the rear are illegal in all states. But many of us run 'em anyway and have no problems. But if you're worried, you can turn the feature off and keep the self-cancelling signals. Download the manual from their website by clicking on this link.

I have a Kisan Signalminder installed and love it. Signals automatically cancel... turn signals are also running lights. I've put 10,000 miles on it since installing. Traveled in Washington, Oregon, British Columbia (including being directly in front of police cars and police motorcycles and never had a problem). I guess I'll apologize and plead ignorance if one stops me - but I believe it makes me much more visible. I guess I believe in 'doing the right thing... rather than always doing things right'?? thumbsup.gif

Yellow?? All my bikes have had orange lights/lens....

Guess they won't be sellling any new bikes in your state if what you say is correct..... I'd be checking with the local LE's if I was you.

If you disconnect the "Runnin Light" setup, what else will you be doing to make yourself stand out in a herd of cages?

The idea behind these type of things is to get yourself seen.... Why would you want to ride and be "camouflaged"??

Pat

I would go to Wal Mart and get a can of testor's candy apple red model spray paint. Pull the lens assembly off the bike and paint the inside of the lenses in very light coats. It worked very well on my old cruiser when I put a controller on it to make the turn signals act as brake lights.

I would go to Wal Mart and get a can of testor's candy apple red model spray paint. Pull the lens assembly off the bike and paint the inside of the lenses in very light coats. It worked very well on my old cruiser when I put a controller on it to make the turn signals act as brake lights.

A pair of red replacement bulbs is a lot easier.

Archived