IGNORED

New bike and slightly concerned

Amd1229

Hi all. I recently picked up a beautiful 2011RT with less than 10k miles. Last night was the first time I got it up to highway speed (65mph+) and I noticed a very disconcerting "dancing" from side to side of the front end. It's not a wobble but more like if you've ever gone over a steel grated bridge, it's that feeling. The tires have lots of life left in them and are both Metzlers. I'm sure this isn't normal so I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone had any thoughts. Other than this, the bike is incredible. But like I said, it's a real concern.

Thanks and this is a great place!!!

BTDT. Sure sounds like low tire pressure to me too Mark!

I recommend trying 40 front and 42 rear and then run the same roads where you experienced the wobble to see if there is a difference. 36 is definitely too low.

Excellent. Thanks for the responses guys. Will adjust and report back. Again thank you so much. I really do learn something new here everyday. Looking forward to paying it back someday.

Check and adjust your pressures cold. Do not rely on the tpms to give you accurate readings. It is a good system but works differently than what we expect.Check your front tire in detail and see if you have some cupping wear just slightly from center. Different tires wear differently. I have a 2012 and used Bridgestone tires since new. My original was a 021. Bad tire as far as wear goes. I'm running the 023 and it is much better. I'm running 38 front and 42 rear.

Afternoon Amd1229

To me it doesn't sound like an air pressure problem (I have ridden the new 1200RT's with low tire pressure & never found the front end to oscillate. (slow handling & slower reaction but no wobble)

To me it sounds more like either a worn tire (they can stll look OK) or a bent front wheel.

So start by putting the bike on the center stand-- then either jack the engine up or put a lot of weight on the rear (so the front wheel is off the ground) then give the front wheel a spin.

Or run a steel rod through the front axle then lift that rod onto jack stands. (then give front wheel a spin)

Also when the front tire is off the ground, run you hand over the tire as you spin it slowly looking for bulges or odd feeling tread areas.

Even a tire worn flat in the center can cause odd tracking issues as the bike tries to self correct itself.

10K on a front tire is a lot for most riders so if that tire is original it might be time for a replacement.

If it is still the original tire, I would seriously consider changing it for a new one if tire pressure doesn't help much. You could be experiencing age hardening of the rubber.

Frank

To me it doesn't sound like an air pressure problem (I have ridden the new 1200RT's with low tire pressure & never found the front end to oscillate. (slow handling & slower reaction but no wobble)

To me it sounds more like either a worn tire (they can stll look OK) or a bent front wheel.

Certainly possible, but I always check the easy stuff first. Once TP is verified, the hunt will be on!

Archived