IGNORED

Regular GS or lowered suspension?

Cedarone

Iam getting ready to order a 2015 GS and am wondering whether it would be better to get the standard model with a lowered seat or the lowered suspension model.I sat on the lowered model and I am flat footed on it at 5'8 3/4 inches. I would guess that the regular model with the lowered seat would be just fine as well. Does the lowered suspension change the relationship to the foot pegs enough to make a difference ie cramped position?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated from those who have either model.

I am flat footed on it at 5'8 3/4 inches.

Just want to point out that your overall height has no bearing on whether you are able to flat foot or not. Offering up your inseam measurement has more bearing.

Afternoon Tom

You probably should go ride both versions.

To me the lowered GS is more limited off-road as, well, it is lower & has less suspension travel.

But, to me, the lower seat is much less comfortable (but remember I am fairly tall & like my off-road bikes as tall as possible).

Probably easier to fix the seat comfort than get more suspension travel though.

If you purchase the Low Suspension GSW, it automatically comes equipped with the Low Seat. As opposed to a standard GSW, the bottom of the bike will be lower to the ground AND you will have less leg room to the pegs (more cramped as you put it).

If you purchase the standard height GSW and put a Low Seat on it, the bike will have exactly the same knee room as on the Low Suspension bike(more cramped as you put it).

If you purchase the Low suspension GSW and put a standard GSW seat on it, the bottom of the bike will still be lower to the ground than a standard GSW, but your knee room will be the same as on a standard GSW(less cramped).

Or

put it this way...,According to the BMW Seat Height Chart

A Low Suspension 2014 GSW is 2" lower overall than a standard 2014 GSW.

Of that 2", 1.2" is solely due to the included Low Seat.

The suspension itself is only .8" lower than standard.

For what it's worth. I rented a GSW for 24 hours. Standard GSW with Low seat installed. @ 5'9", w-30" inseam, the bike was quite manageable IMO. A standard height GSW with standard seat seems just a bit too tall for my liking.

If I end up purchasing a GSW... it will probably be standard height, and I'll purchase a good aftermarket low seat. Like a Touratech or Sargent...

I already have a pair of the BMW adjustable foot-pegs in my possession. The pegs, in their lowest position will allow for knee-room close to that of a standard GSW.

Kapish?

good luck with your decision.

d'milan

After lots of test drives, I am looking at a lowered GS with the regular seat. This puts my 29 inch inseam on a more stable base. One foot flat, with the other on my toes. This allows a more comfortable seat (and the option to have a custom one built with some decent padding later on). ONE THING to really look into is the adjustable sidestand available for the GS. Pretty trick item that allows me to not have to lean the bike over so far, and shorten the stand on the side of the road (camber issues). Good luck. The blue is a great looking bike!

Archived