IGNORED

I'm Back, sort of.....

TracerBullet

TracerBullet

I just put a deposit down on a 14 black RT 1200. I'm getting killed on the trade of my Harley but I have no regrets. I tried a different marque but it just isn't for me. It was costly but hey I can say I had a Harley. ;)

I found a "used" bike with zero miles. The previous owner bought it, loaded it on a trailer, was informed of the do not ride and trailered it back. Now I just have to wait until the fix.

I am so glad to be returning to the fold.

I am getting ready for a planned trip of New England the second week of Sept. with my friend who rides an Ultra so I will be doing it on my RoadKing. Somehow I think it would be more comfy on the BMW. Oh well the trip will make me appreciate the RT more.

Curious if they are selling it as used or did the original buyer's deal just get voided? I too have a made a deposit but the dealer here in Florida and another in Georgia tell me that BMW hasn't told them what to sell the "used" bike for.

TracerBullet

I am waiting for the same info. The sales guy said it will be discounted but they do not know by how much. My deposit is refundable if I choose, or applicable to a 15 as well.

To the best of my knowledge a bike is used once it has been sold.

Mileage immaterial.

There is no way to void the actual status of a title after the fact.

That could lead to some chicanery by unscrupulous dealers.

But, come to think of it, I do know of a dealership that told BMW a bike was sold, collected the rebate, started the clock on the warranty, and then sold the bike as new.

When the owner of the bike came in to our dealership for service he was shocked to find out his warranty had started 3 months before he bought his "new" bike from the well known destination dealership.

That is unscrupulous.

But the title never was registered with the state as sold.

I would have to believe that any bike leaving the dealership after paperwork legally done is "used" regardless of other factors.

I was just in the Silver State, Nevada. Dealer told me that if they take a 2014 back, it is categorized as a LEMON. Don't know what that means for resale or IF there can be a resale. Something may appear on the title similar to a totaled (reconstructed) bike. Surely, the Lemon moniker follows the bike if anyone does an internet search on any one of the several sites to track such things.

So, good deal today on a returned 2014 may not pay off when a person goes to sell that 2014 in 2018.

I was just in the Silver State, Nevada. Dealer told me that if they take a 2014 back, it is categorized as a LEMON. Don't know what that means for resale or IF there can be a resale. Something may appear on the title similar to a totaled (reconstructed) bike. Surely, the Lemon moniker follows the bike if anyone does an internet search on any one of the several sites to track such things.

So, good deal today on a returned 2014 may not pay off when a person goes to sell that 2014 in 2018.

I strongly believe that MOST anyone buying a LEMON RT (salvage title or whatever) in 2018 could surely be able to comprehend the explanation of the bikes tainted title, if there is any such notation on the title.

Knowing what I know, it wouldn't mean a thing to me, and I could explain it to anybody with half a brain...

I'd be more uncomfortable fielding questions regarding the clunky transmission. (sorry, couldn't resist)

d'milan (curmudgeon)

I was just in the Silver State, Nevada. Dealer told me that if they take a 2014 back, it is categorized as a LEMON.

Was that a Salesperson that said that? Or the Sales Manager or General Manager?

Most Sales staff don't have any idea what the process is for Lemon Law. I would be surprised if buybacks in Nevada are in fact "Lemon Law" bikes.

I was just in the Silver State, Nevada. Dealer told me that if they take a 2014 back, it is categorized as a LEMON.

Was that a Salesperson that said that? Or the Sales Manager or General Manager?

Most Sales staff don't have any idea what the process is for Lemon Law. I would be surprised if buybacks in Nevada are in fact "Lemon Law" bikes.

I would agree. BMW carefully structured this. Under NY laws, and I am sure it is similar in other states, a lemon law title occurs as the result of a filing under the law, having a valid claim and the vehicle is then labelled.

BMW issued a "stop ride advisory" to its customers and is sending out official recall letters as the parts are available to fix the problem. Customers that voluntarily chose to exercise a "customer care option" and have BMW voluntarily buy back the bike and accessories sign a waiver and a transfer of title to BMW. This more than likely will be a simple transfer of plain title and upon resale, another transfer of plain title to the new owner.

I have not seen anyone reporting that after thirty days out of service they sought relief under the lemon law in their state and accomplished a lemon law buy back. A voluntary contract and transfer of title/sale under the customer care option would not constitute a lemon law action

I can't see how any state lemon law would apply here since BMW is offering owners of every vehicle they sold a 100% refund, no questions asked, in addition to a trade-up option, or a big cash bonus option if the owner decides to wait for the part -- which will fully correct the single, diagnosed problem. The bike isn't, in fact, a lemon; BMW didn't build the shock and they just can't get the replacement part quickly due to vendor problems.

I would think any buyback would make the bike a used bike, with BMWM being the second owner (unless some deal is made between BMW and a dealer whereby the dealer would do the buyback as the second owner). The only sticky part is if someone paid for a new RT and titled it but it never left the showroom because BMW wouldn't let the dealer deliver it. Then is it new or used if there's a buyback?

I was specifically told by the SM at Southsound Motorcycles in Washington that any buybacks would be per the Washington Lemon Law.

I was specifically told by the SM at Southsound Motorcycles in Washington that any buybacks would be per the Washington Lemon Law.

Hmmm, Washington's lemon law has three specific criteria, and the only one that seems to apply here is the 30-days-in-the-shop-unfixed. But that gets sticky because anyone can (and some do) still ride their RT while waiting for the part and a dealer appointment to pick up the bike for the fix. In fact, as far as we know, the part in question never actually failed on any bikes in the USA (or Washington) before the stop-ride notice. But I'm no lawyer.

http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/automotive-law/lemon-law.php#Lemon-Law-Protection-in-Washington

The "30 day out of service" part of the Lemon Law is what could apply. Most don't understand that even if that criteria is met the manufacturer may still have (1) chance to fix the bike under Lemon Law rules. Again, Lemon Law proceedings have to be started for Lemon Law to have any bearing. Sort of like getting stopped for speeding and taking deferred adjudication to get out of it. Yes, there is a price to be paid but everyone is satisfied to end it with no record.

Another thing that has not been mentioned about Salvage titles. Manufacturers void the warranty on a salvage vehicle, BMW might not in these cases. Financial Institutions won't normally finance a salvage title. Not too many buyers out there with cash so that is a major problem as far as street value.

I believe under most lemon laws there had to be repeated attempts to cure the problem. In this case it was a manufacturing defect and a solution found. Now if problems keep recurring then a lemon law might come in to play.

I believe under most lemon laws there had to be repeated attempts to cure the problem. In this case it was a manufacturing defect and a solution found. Now if problems keep recurring then a lemon law might come in to play.

One of the criteria is repeated attempts to fix a problem. 3 is the usual number. Then you get into fixing different problems and that is part of why the 30 days within a certain period of time come into play.

Even after 3 attempts to fix a problem, the manufacturer will usually get one more attempt to fix it. That is when the big guns come out from headquarters, or when a deal to buy it out might happen.

Archived