IGNORED

My First Repair

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

So much for BMW legendary reliability... grin.gif Can you believe my R1150RT finally needed a repair? 83,000 miles after purchasing my bike I finally had to take it in for work.

Went out the other day and noticed the starter was hanging up. So, I ran the RT into my local dealer. They replaced the starter for free under my extended warranty.

Now that I got that out of the way, I'm looking forward to my next trouble-free 83,000 miles!

Cheers,

Steve

Now it's nice to hear stories like this one. thumbsup.gif No problems with my 03 RT at 26,000 miles, now traded for a 04 GS. Just hope I get the same service.

That is a really sad tale regarding reliability. But I've got a worse one; every several hundred miles, mine just quits cold if I don't put all new fuel in it, and the tires keep going bad every 10k-12k miles. I even had to but a new battery in!

Damn that sucks!!! bncry.gifbncry.gif

I've been holding out with the optitmists but now, after hearing your story, I say DOWN WITH BMW!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for the lift!

Cameron

The list for a new starter is $355, and figure an hour or so to install, and you were looking at about $500 bill from the shop if you had to pay. You need one more claim to justify your exended warranty. One failure in 83K miles is not bad, zero would be better.

I went for the extended warranty when I purchased my '04 R because I was leary of the motronic, the injector pump, and the ABS. Reading this and other boards, it seems those items are the most reliable parts on the bike. I never considered that driveline components - top end, transmission, or rear end - would have issues. I'm still glad I went for the extended warranty, but not for the reasons I got it. I'll be even happier if I never have to use it.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Archived