IGNORED

What changed from '02 to '04?

Penrod

Looking at my first BMW, an R1150RT. I believe that two changes they made from '02 to '04 are two spark plugs per cylinder and eliminated the pre set-up for a radio. Were there any other changes? And what which would you choose if the price were within $1000 (more on the '04)?

{{What changed from '02 to '04?}}

O.K.

From the subject line I was led to list the following:

= ten more pounds

= many more white hairs

= added more bikes

= can't remember the rest... did I mention the weight gain? eek.gif

A really minor thing is that the '04 has jumper posts for jump starting the bike. Probably has a gel battery rather than lead-acid.

Wasn't there a slight modification to the linked/power brakes? I've heard it reported they were smoother.
That happened in the very early '02s.

Not sure what other changes, but for $1,000 difference I would take the 2004 because it would eventually have better reselling value, but clearly you should keep in consideration other factors, such as conditions of each bike, added acessories, and off course their mileage.

Good luck.

Pier

Thanks Leslie, that link is a wealth of information. I'm down to two bikes, an '02 and an '04. The "04 has about 2,500 miles but is stock and being sold by a non-BMW bike dealer for $11,500. The '02 has extras: windshield, engine optimizer, handlebar extenders and back box. It has 20,000 miles, but is $9,500 sold by private party and has an extended warranty till '08. And it appears the differences between the two model years is neglible. So I'm going to end up with one of them this weekend...... Thanks to all the help and info.

Bill

I went from an '02 to an '04. As the others have stated, dual plugs and no radio prep kit with an additional battery terminal post for jumps. And a Gel battery too.

I was also told that the tranny's for '04 were different. DESIGNED and built by Getrag rather than Getrag manufacturing only via taking BMW's design????

It does shift nicer than my '02, but not a huge improvement. Overall, the Twin Spark motor is MUCH improved in all aspects...IMHO.

Rick

Hey RPG,is this additional battery post under the seat or on the engine case like (I think) I've seen on some GSs? My 04 RT has neither.

Hey RPG,is this additional battery post under the seat or on the engine case like (I think) I've seen on some GSs? My 04 RT has neither.

[.. as the realization slowly dawns upon our victim, he screams;"AAAAaaaaaaahhhhhh..... they sold me a 2003! I've been robbed!!"]

eek.gifeek.gif

There is a post attached to the battery with a plastic cap covering it (take off your seat to see it) and another on the motor. The one under the seat is the + and the motor is the ground. At least that is what mine has.

Archived