IGNORED

3 months warranty extension for recalled bikes

ChrisvH

There is an unsubstantiated rumour on some UK sites that BMW UK are offering a 3 month warranty extension for recalled bikes. Apparently a letter has been leaked. Interesting!

The warranty time should have stopped ticking the day of the stop ride, and be extended by at least the amount of time the bike is off the road.

I would accept nothing less.

I was about to buy a MY14 just as this happened. I've been watching this recall with great interest, and as a result, I've decided to wait till MY15 hits Australia. Judging by the way BMW is handling this debacle (particularly outside the U.S.), I may pass on a MY15 and change brands altogether....

It's just not worth the hassle :dopeslap: particularly with the way Motorrad AU treats its customers.....

CoarsegoldKid

I heard that it was more like a year or something like that. Maybe even 3 more years. I think BMW is doing right by it's customers that have purchased the wethead RT.

The warranty time should have stopped ticking the day of the stop ride, and be extended by at least the amount of time the bike is off the road.

I would accept nothing less.

I was about to buy a MY14 just as this happened. I've been watching this recall with great interest, and as a result, I've decided to wait till MY15 hits Australia. Judging by the way BMW is handling this debacle (particularly outside the U.S.), I may pass on a MY15 and change brands altogether....

It's just not worth the hassle :dopeslap: particularly with the way Motorrad AU treats its customers.....

If you would have been truly watching, then you would have been aware that Australians got:

1) an additional 1 year warranty with no argument

2) A bike to ride at no cost to us

3) additional substantial money to be used on BMW parts/accessories or service.

By the way....

The 1st R1200RTLC has been fixed and is ready for pickup in Germany.

A German forum member has been notified that his bike will be ready for pickup in the afternoon.

By the way....

The 1st R1200RTLC has been fixed and is ready for pickup in Germany.

A German forum member has been notified that his bike will be ready for pickup in the afternoon.

That's good to hear Alfred, hopefully some members on here will report about their fixed bikes soon :)

Teddy

Thanks for clarifying that, Alfred. :)

Did Motorrad AU offer you a buyback?

Did Motorrad AU offer you to trade out?

Did Motorrad AU offer you $2.5k compensation?

I've been a loyal customer for over 25 years. The only goodwill I've had in that time has been from the purchasing dealers, in spite of Motorrad AU's way of dealing with its loyal customers.

Just saying ;)

I think BMW is doing right by it's customers that have purchased the wethead RT.

I think the jury is still out on that. BMW's quality, PPAP (production part approval process) and testing should be under serious scrutiny by its customers (and shareholders), its time to put their feet to the fire in a big way. This is a huge quality escape, for a manufacturer like this its unbelievable that it happened. They have a history of these kind of failures; final drives, switchgear etc. Something is seriously amiss with this company.

Doing whats right is fixing the problem then putting procedures in place to prevent it from happening again, BMW struggles with the "happening again" problem.

Mostly I think one of the biggest issues that is hampering this kind of improvements is the customer base. I think too many BMW customers are way to accepting and forgiving of this companies failures. Sorry folks but I think you need to be much tougher on the company and it will pay dividends for you in the future.

I didn't ask for one as I am keeping my bike, so this point is mood.

Again..didn't want one so why should they offer? As above...mood point.

I asked and got it, same as Terry and I imagine others as well...so yes, thank you. We got it and at least myself have spend it.

On top of that, I have a Demo 2014GS-LC sitting in my garage as a loaner at no cost to myself.

Myself, I am very happy how BMW Australia and my local dealer have and are looking after me during this period, thank you very much.

Others might feel different and some people always have unrealistic expectations.

If you feel not being treated the way you deserve by this manufacturer then by all means, change brand. After all it is your money and you have the right to get the best value for your hard earned cash.

BitScribbler
There is an unsubstantiated rumour on some UK sites that BMW UK are offering a 3 month warranty extension for recalled bikes. Apparently a letter has been leaked. Interesting!

It turns out this is indeed the case. I have received a letter this morning, confirming a 3 months extension to the warranty, bike to be returned valeted and with a full tank of fuel. With the £500 voucher and a free loan bike in the interim on which I've put nearly 4,500 miles, I'm fairly happy with that, given the circumstances.

I've been a loyal customer for over 25 years. The only goodwill I've had in that time has been from the purchasing dealers, in spite of Motorrad AU's way of dealing with its loyal customers.

Just saying ;)

All options above were very briefly discussed as well as to keep the bike and get it repaired. I also received email confirmation of the above. The compensation was $2000 towards BMW accessories, servicing, tyres etc...

The discussion also mentioned for a small cash adjustment I could move up to a K1600 or another bike in the BMW range and if it was a cheaper bike I would get a refund of the difference. I also get a 12 months extension to my RT warranty.

I chose and received a brand new R1200R to ride and do as many kilometres on as I like including servicing and tyres! This also included a low seat (coz I am a short arse) and a set of panniers.

Now I think the offer I received is typical of what others also got in Australia and I am more than happy with that.

Now whilst things were a bit slow to move at the start with the loan bike, my local dealer stepped up to the plate once the bits I requested became available.

Now if the news of the shock repairs is good, then I will be back in the saddle of my Rt-LC soon.

Teddy

Alfred,

Were you offered the extra 12 months roadside assist?

Alfred,

Were you offered the extra 12 months roadside assist?

I cannot speak for Alfred but with the extended warranty you automatically get 12 months roadside assist with it.

Teddy

Thanks for the info Teddy. Did BMW AU offer Australian owners a buyback?

I've owned several new BMW bikes in the past and found Motorrad AU to be somewhat "resistant" with the few warranty matters I had. The issues that came up on my bikes, although repaired, were mostly done at dealer cost (goodwill).

It's been a couple of years since I had my last BMW, and I'm trying to gauge whether their attitude has changed (improved) over that time. I'm ready to buy, but am really reluctant to go through the hassles I did last time 😊

Thanks for the info Teddy. Did BMW AU offer Australian owners a buyback?

Yes that option was briefly mentioned but as I told BMW Aus I was going to the keep the bike.

After further discussions this was on offer:

The roadside team will contact you to collect your motorcycle for repairs once parts are available.

· 12 month extension of your BMW motorcycle warranty and roadside assistance policy.

· Loan bike for the duration of the repair. This will be discussed with your local dealer in relation to model availability.

· $2000 BMW Credit towards rider wear, accessories or future servicing costs including tyres.

The offer to trade up or trade down was also briefly discussed. I found head office BMW Aus very good to deal with even better than my local dealer.

As you can see the offer is more than generous especially if the RT's will be fixed soon.

Teddy

Archived