IGNORED

12K service question on R1200RT

Addstar

Hello to all !

I have a 12K on my 2013 R1200RT and the dealer said to replace spark plugs and adjust valves.

My question is : do I really need to replace iridium spark plugs by this mileage?

Do I need adjust valves on 12K service even a dealer did it on 6K service 3 months ago?

I think not to do sparks replacement till at least 18K or 24K service and pass this time valve adjustment till 18K.

Please, share all your opinions and points on this matter!

Have a safe ride!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The valve adjust is just checking the gap and replacing shims if needed. I think there may be only a handful of residents here who have had to do a shim.

I did my plugs at 19 because they looked so unmolested at 12k.

If interested in learning, post your location. It is easy work to learn to do yourself.

Please, share all your opinions and points on this matter!

Have a safe ride!

Check the spark plug gap. If it is out of spec replace it x 4.

Check the valve clearance. If it is out of spec adjust via shim.

Change oil & filter. Maybe brake, tranny and final drive fluids, tires too.

I would do the basic maintenance.

Morning Addstar

On the valve check/adjustment. You don't have enough miles/checks yet to establish a trend.

More than likely they are OK (still within specs) but you just don't know that. If you can go at least one check without any movement in the lash then you can probably start stretching the time period between checks. (if you burn a valve it gets REALLY expensive fast)

On the spark plugs-- good question-- Miles traveled is really not a good measure of spark plug condition or life. It is how many sparks across the electrode gaps (but without an hour-meter about all you have to go on is miles). 12k in 6th gear cruising mile after mile is a LOT less sparks than 12k of stop & go riding with lots of idling at stop lights, or riding around in lower gears.

You can check the electrode spark gap but it really isn't re-settable on the dual electrode side gap plugs. If you go to all the trouble of removing them & checking the gap you might as well just install new ones. If the electrode gap gets too large those expensive stick coils have more incentive to arc internally to the RFI shield rather than across the electrode gap.

Thank you BMW's experts!

I have got your points and the way to check and following steps depends on the valves condition and spark plugs.

However the point from dealer is to follow BMW factory requirements on this mileage. They said to replace spark plugs no matter what, check and adjust valves ( makes sense) , replace fluids , filters and other check ins.

I appreciate all replies and let you know when I make this service what is done.

Have a safe summer ride!

I'm in a similar boat with my '13 RT, but am a couple thousand miles behind you -- I just turned 10K. Please be aware that our bikes want a brake fluid flush and gearbox oil change at 1 year (regardless of miles), then the mileage intervals kick in. I did both of those, plus the final drive & engine oil, within the past few weeks, in advance of the 12K service. I've been changing the engine oil every 3K since new, and I'd like to think that Ursala Majorette appreciates the extra attention -- esp. during break-in. FWIW, MPG is now up over 43, despite my, ahhh, enthusiasm.

Archived