IGNORED

2013 RT auxilary mirrors

RichM

They do fit the camheads, as I have them on my 2012 RT. But you have to get the right adaptor/mirror combination. It is a bit confusing on their site.

Having said that, I just ordered the ones from A&S you suggested as they look like they are much better quality than the poor quality ones from Wunderlich

A&S never showed up on my Google search when I was looking for aftermarket mirrors.

Thanks for the link!

My wife had me install them on her 2012 RT -- the comment about being *sure* you have the right mounting bits is spot-on, as BMW changed the arrangement in ?2010?.

My 2011 has no provision for stalk type mirrors.

Yep - you have to purchase replacement top halves of the clamp mounts with the mirror bosses.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, before you choke, just read…I am now 2 years into these mirrors and they are the still great! I purchased my mirrors though Ebay...some cheap-o types, less than $26 from China as I recall. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Black-Mirror-BMW-F650GS-F800GS-F800-F650-GS-08-11-/280835215602?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item41631550f2 No problems with the purchase so the seller seems decent.

The mounting clamp (top) brackets that attach the mirror to the handle bar ...now those were where the $$ was spent; about $32 each. Good Lord!...you'd think they were made from gold. I believe I got them from Bob's BMW in NY. On the bike, I unscrewed the top bracket that attaches to both sides of the controls left and right and attached the new post stem-brackets. The mounts, that come with a screw in post for the mirror stock/stem, simply replaces the top bracket.

There are some Ebay sellers selling the same types of mirror set ups for $130, but I did the same thing for a lot less and I like the eye shaped mirrors over the round ones sold by BMW. I did however have to buy a reduced thread adapter to fit the Chinese stem to the BMW bracket. I can't say for sure, but I think these were the ones I acquired...(a couple bucks) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-or-Scooter-Mirror-Adapters-View-10mm-to-8mm/280780612880?rt=nc, The reducer looked a bit out of place (sliver) so I sewed a black fabric (cordura) tube to slip on over them before I screwed the mirrors on. I used some thread lock after I got them set the way I wanted...use blue thread lock, not red.

So far the mirroring (reflective) has held up well, the plastic frame stayed perfect and they did not loosen up. They don't vibrate or anything like that; they are pretty solid. The rubber boot did not rot or crack.

If you really want to know more, I can take some close-up shots.

• 1 month later...

I had the BMW mirrors shown mounted on my 2012 for a year or so until I got used to the RT mirrors. You need to add a different top clamp on the levers and they screw into that.

I'm going to list the pair that I have in the classifieds or you can PM for more info if interested.

They did help rear view visibility, especially with a Topcase or passenger but I guess I finally adjusted to the stock mirrors and found myself using those so I took them off.

Sorry for last post--I gave the guy's personal email instead of the business email:

www.moto-science.com. I saved a lot on bar mounted oval mirrors for my 2012 RT.

Archived