IGNORED

2006 K1200GT brake information question

HH0

I am looking at purchasing a 2006-7 K1200GT and it is my understanding that the braking systems were changed sometime in 2006 to an improved system. I stopped at a BMW dealer today and he said to just stick with a 2007 model. I thought that depending on the date of manufacture for a 2006 you can get the improved system. Can someone enlighten me as to the correct information? Thanks in advance.

Dennis Andress

K bikes prior to 2007 had the EVO brake system. There is a little servo that powers up when the brake lever is moved off the stop. The effect is not power assist, rather a nudge to overcome the mass of the brake pads and to move them a little bit so they make contact with the disk. The brakes do engage sooner, which takes some getting used to, especially a low speeds.

The down side is a complex system where repairs are expensive. Yet, even now failures are still rare. Flushing the brake system is difficult to get right. It may be difficult to find a BMW tech who has experience with that. There are good DIY instructions around here somewhere....

For me EVO was a good thing. I kind of miss the immediacy with which the brakes were applied at speed. Also, when EVO ABS engages, it's a smooth "relaxing" of brake pressure instead of a pulsing on and off.

Thanks for the input Dennis. Seems I am more confused than ever now. Dealer said go with the 2007+ as the systems are less expensive to maintain. I haven't found any instructions for flushing these systems but maybe something with show up.

Afternoon HHO

According to my parts book the I-ABS (wizzy) brake system was used until build date of 08/2006 (basically around the start of 2007 bike)

After 08/2006 the brake system was changed to the I-ABS gen ll system.

I'm not sure you will find a 2006 with the I-ABS gen ll (non wizzy) system but I suppose it is possible a few were built (can't be very many I would imagine).

If you are looking at a 2006 long range (like internet) then get the VIN number, then have your dealer run it for build date (you want build date of after 08/2006)

Archived