IGNORED

Four Questions about BMW Radio/CD for R12RT

Mdcruiser

This is likely so simple that it will bore many of you. But here goes:

I'm taking delivery of a new R1200RT that comes with several options, including the "radio prep kit" (but not the radio itself). My questions are:

1) If I want a radio, is it easy to purchase the BMW radio/CD player from the dealer?

2) Is it more expensive to purchase this radio from the dealer than if my bike had come with it pre-installed at the factory?

3) Is the radio/CD specific to the R12RT, or is it a generic version that, maybe, I can pick up used on this site or IBMWR?

4) Are there other after-market radios/CD that are better than the BMW in-house brand?

Thanks in advance for your help, you all.

Michael

You can guy the factory radio for about $1800.00 plus software setup and installation. dopeslap.gif I know I looked. eek.gif Crazy. dopeslap.gif

I bought an XM ready Pioneer unit, the two receiver modules, and two 4 1/2 speakers for $300.00. Installed it myself and have no big ugly antenna sticking off the bike. Sounds better than BMW`s unit and Zero interference. thumbsup.gif Works great. The $1200.00 I saved bought me a Stitch and a Garmin 2720 clap.gif

The way it was explained to me...

Unless you really need/want AM/FM, forego the factory system.

From my personal experience, the CD is lousy and the radio is mediocre.

Mike

You can guy the factory radio for about $1800.00 plus software setup and installation. dopeslap.gif I know I looked. eek.gif Crazy. dopeslap.gif

I bought an XM ready Pioneer unit, the two receiver modules, and two 4 1/2 speakers for $300.00. Installed it myself and have no big ugly antenna sticking off the bike. Sounds better than BMW`s unit and Zero interference. thumbsup.gif Works great. The $1200.00 I saved bought me a Stitch and a Garmin 2720 clap.gif

Take First Beemers advice, I had to have the RT with the CD and Stereo but found that I dont even listen to it, I have the tunes piped in through my helmet from my communications device. If I did it again, I wouldn't bother with it.

Well, the opinion is certainly unanimous. I'll forego the BMW radio. I'm going to start another thread in the appropriate forum concerning the System V helmet, which incorporates Bluetooth and looks tremendous. If we can't get it stateside, maybe we can import it?

Michael

Archived