IGNORED

Tupperware screws

bmweerman

I have need to replace a bunch of the screws pictured in the diagram below...but I can't find the specs on them in the manual...i.e. size, pitch, lenght etc..

Anybody know where that is in the manual or have a list somewhere?

TIA

Cameron

55429566-M.jpg

I have need to replace a bunch of the screws pictured in the diagram below...but I can't find the specs on them in the manual...i.e. size, pitch, lenght etc..

Anybody know where that is in the manual or have a list somewhere?

You could easily measure them. Metric screws are in increments of 1mm diameter (6 and below) and 2mm increments above 6mm diameter. Pitch is standardized so no need to measure that.

Measuring length is also pretty simple.

Bob.

All metric screws have the same pitch??

No, of course not! What I meant was that if you measure a screw's diameter to be 6mm, then it is an M6, and its pitch will be (standardized) at 1mm so there is no need to measure the pitch. Similarly, an M5 will be 0,8mm, an M8 will have a pitch of 1,25mm and an M10 will be 1,50mm.

Same thing with American ANSI screws which also have standardized pitch.

The general difference is that ANSI coarse-thread screws (like a 1/4-20) are too too coarse for optimum tensile strength. As a result it is common to have both fine and coarse thread ANSI screws mixed up in an assembly. ISO-metric threads have a pitch better optimized for strength.

ISO-metric screws are the standard that are used all over the world except in the US and (to a lesser degree Canada). Even the Japanese JIS system used all over Asia is totally compatible with ISO.

I had to laugh when I looked at an ANSI "metric" screw standards catalogue recently. ANSI in their wisdom has invented the M6.3 screw that exists nowhere in the entire world, except in the US. In other words, it is 1/4" in diameter dopeslap.gif Now THAT is real metric conversion!

Bob.

All metric screws have the same pitch??

No, of course not! What I meant was that if you measure a screw's diameter to be 6mm, then it is an M6, and its pitch will be (standardized) at 1mm so there is no need to measure the pitch. Similarly, an M5 will be 0,8mm, an M8 will have a pitch of 1,25mm and an M10 will be 1,50mm.

Beware!, there are also metric fine screws out there - but not on the tupperware. See here for some thread charts.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Beware!, there are also metric fine screws out there - but not on the tupperware. See here for some thread charts.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Yes, there are, but because pitch of the "coarse" ones is better optimized that ANSI (American) screws, fine-pitch metric screws are hardly ever used in most applications.

One exception I can think of is the bolts to mount the rear wheel on BMW bikes. There, they use an M12 fine pitch thread. I had to special-order the tap for this when I was making an adapter to balance the rear tire.

Bob.

An additional point is that the "ends" of the standard equipment screws are pointed and the replacement stainless steel screws that I have seen are not pointed. This makes installing the replacement screws much more difficult. If anyone has a source for the SS replacement screws that are pointed, I would appreciated knowing of it.

An additional point is that the "ends" of the standard equipment screws are pointed and the replacement stainless steel screws that I have seen are not pointed. This makes installing the replacement screws much more difficult. If anyone has a source for the SS replacement screws that are pointed, I would appreciated knowing of it.

Just spin on a nut, grind the end to a point, then spin off the nut to clean up the threads and there ya go: a pointed screw. thumbsup.gif

Bob.

Two things, One, if you need the screws check the Bob's BMW catalog. They tell you how many of each that you need for the RT. It's at the end of the oilhead section. Then it's only a trip to your local mom and pop hardware store. (Don't even think about asking the kid at home depot)

If you just want the stainless look...I put my screws in the end of my drill. Sanded them for about 20 seconds on a 3M sanding sponge. They look good. I can't tell if they are stainless but they look like it. If not, I might spray them with a little clear cloat if I see any signs of rust. It's worth about a half hour of work and it might save you $20 clap.gif

Thanks to everybody for their input!!

It's amazing when one takes up a new hobby that is completely different from anything one has done before, how many little pieces of information need to be assimilated.

The patience and willingness to share on this board are FANTASTIC thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Archived