IGNORED

Wiring harness fire

WestTX RT

I washed my RT yesterday and when I started it to put it up, it ran for a few seconds and "fooof" noise came from under the seat. I jumped off and it started smoking, I yelled for Karan to bring the fire extinguisher and by the time I got the seat off, there was a full blaze under the battery in the wiring. The extinguisher took it out in one shot, but there was quite a bit of damage to the main battery cables and the battery. I came real close to having a serious problem on my hands, I had filled the gas tank up after we rode on Saturday. There wasn't any serious paint damage to the plastic, the main problem is in the wiring. I'm not sure what happened, the positive cable looked like it was fused to the battery tray, I'm thinking it may have rubbed off the insulation, and when I got it wet, the fireworks started.

The nearest dealer is in Ft. Worth, about a 5 hour drive. I've already called Dairyland and started a claim, so we'll see where they take it from here.

It certainly sounds like abrasion at work. Glad you were able to rescue the bike and yourself.

There shouldn't have been any water near the battery after a wash, unless you were washing it naked or you directed a high pressure stream up at the battery for some reason (which you will never admit to for obvious reasons). I really think it was just luck that it shorted when you were more or less stationary.

A new main wiring harness and battery should be all it needs. Maybe a new tray if the wiring welded itself to that, but otherwise, not too bad in terms of repairs.

Darrell,

I saw your post on it on the DBB mail. I am real glad you heard it when it happened.

Sorry to hear the news and I hope it is nothing more than a wire or two.

Michael,

I'm with you, I don't know how water got into the cable, I'd left the seat on to wash it. It was mainly just dusty from riding on the dry roads.

Marty and Eric,

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I'll probably have to bring it to Ft. Worth, so I may stop in for some BBQ on my way through Abilene.

But it just reinforces my commitment never to wash my bike!

See how smart Russell is, he had that figured out long before we did thumbsup.gif

Darrell, when passing through give me a ring. If I am not working we can do lunch.

I've always been careful not to hit anything above fender level with anything more than a gentle rinse, because I didn't want to end up with a problem. I didn't get it as wet as I have riding it in the rain. I'd have really been screwed, had I been on the road.

I'd bet that the fire is unrelated to the washing. It is very, very rare for water intrusion to result in a fire. Usually fire resulte from an unfused conductor (starter cable should be the only one) contacting a ground. THe fuse will generally protect just about any other circuit from catching fire. There are some exceptions to this statement, I know, but I'll bet it is unrelated. More likely cause would be a bad starter pulling extremely high current, bad cable with a high resistance joint/break that is heating way up, or melted/abraded insulation at a frame component. Let us know what you find out. --Jerry

I'd bet that the fire is unrelated to the washing. It is very, very rare for water intrusion to result in a fire.
If water was the issue, I was about to ask how you wash a GS or ride one in the rain without worrying about water perhaps getting to the battery? Isn't its battery slightly exposed underneath?
  • 1 month later...

The plot thickens, I talked to the shop yesterday and they haven't really stripped the bike down yet, but they said it looks like there may have been gas that ignited under the battery somewhere.

I agree that water in itself won't conduct enough on a 12 V system to begin to start anything. My 2000 R1100RT had a comparatively sharp insulation-wearing point on the lower front left corner of the steel battery box/case. Fortunately I happened to see it & fixed it.

ShovelStrokeEd

It wasn't water. Hell, I've been washing my bikes with pressure washers (what in days gone by were called quarter car washes) since Jesus was a corporal and never had a problem. OK, some of the brit bikes wouldn't start after, but some of those wouldn't start on a humid day either. Just ain't an issue.

No_Twilight
The plot thickens, I talked to the shop yesterday and they haven't really stripped the bike down yet, but they said it looks like there may have been gas that ignited under the battery somewhere.

Wonder how they think they can tell that, unless they are finding leaking quick disconnects. I've pretty much decided that if I ever own a bike with quick disconnects, I'll take them off and hard pipe them. But I'd be suspicious of thier motive in making such a conclusion given that I don't think they can tell w/o some forensics beyond a bike shops capability.--Jerry

I think he was making that assumtion based on the places that were smoked or blackened away from the electical system, he said it was spread out an awful lot to just be electrical. I'd agree that it spread way fast just to be burning wires.

I agree completely. I had a hog for 23 years and many british bikes and never had a fire or anything related to water. BUT get this, about a year ago I was lightly degreasing my engine on my 94 Toyota pickup with a garden hose and purposely avoiding the alternator. When I was almost done, the alternator starts smoldering. I quickly disconnect the battery, remove the alternator and see that it's fried. No damage to the wires..nothing. I replaced it and all was well. I never could explain to myself how water could have done it. Coincidence? I just don't know. Oh and nothing was on when this happened including the ignition. Go figure.

Chris confused.gif

Archived