IGNORED

Replace new tire with another brand

Hoghead

I need some advice from you folks here on the forum. My R1200RT has only 1050 miles and not riding at this time but when we do get around to BMW getting it fixed I have to buy a new rear tire as I stuck a big bolt in it and don't want to repair it. My question is....I have Continentals on my RT and would like to replace with a Michelin on the rear only. I hate to buy a matching tire for the front as it has only 1050 miles on the bike. What do you guys think about mixing brands as long as it is the same speed rating and load index?...Thanks

Evening Hoghead

As a rule I don't but have in the past & usually not even the hint of an issue.

About all I can suggest is that you try it, if it works OK (& I can't believe it won't) then you are good to go.

If by some strange occurrence it doesn't feel right then simply replace the other tire .

The same thing happened to me. At approx 1000 miles I picked up a 3" nail in the rear tire which left a rather nasty hole I didn't feel comfortable plugging. I had the Continentals as well but could not find them locally so I swapped both tires for the PR4GTs. I contacted five shops in the area as well and some racer friends who all stated it is a bad idea to mis-match tires on a sport, sport touring bike. I have never tried it myself to determine if I noticed anything, but since I received the same answer from multiple sources, I decided to swap both to remain on the safe side. Whatever decision you make I hope it works out; it stinks replacing new tires...

As someone who commutes on the bike daily and tends to wear out tires unevenly, I have mixed tires before many times and had no ill effects.

Not that you asked, but Pilot Road 2's are my current favorite tire. I am anxious to try out the PR4s next time I need tires.

I've mixed tires on my 02R1150RT, not noticeable, no problem.

My favorite tire now is the PR 3’s. I like the Pilot Road in the day, and then the PR 2’s much better (better grip and much higher mileage). I have a set of PR 4’s GT sitting close to the parked 14RT… Mine came with Z8’s, a good tire. I look forward trying out the PR 4’s and I’m sure I will mix the Z8’s and PR 4 since I change my own tires.

Jay

duckbubbles

I don't usually mix brands. But I have many times in the past. Even run bias/radial mix with no real negative effects (fiddling with air pressure evened out the "feel"). Had a Chinese tire on for the last part of a trip- only one I could find in my size. I think a lot has to do with your riding style- how hard do you push them?

Frank

I guess one could make an argument for having similar bite from both tires so the "stickier" one does not outperform the less sticky one during aggressive cornering. I don't know....

That being said, I have mixed tire brands on my bikes now and again and never had any bad results. But then I don't often corner aggressively. And when I do, I think I'd call it cautious aggressive.

I am a Michelin fan. For bikes and cars too.

Regarding Michelin Pilot Road 3's, I installed them on my 2003 GT (front only) PR2 on rear and on my departed VStrom 650 Front and rear and on my departed 2011 R1200GSA. I found that, with all the sipes, the front tires were noticeably noisy at certain speeds. Like a playing card that you used to mount on your bicycle fork to fan against your spokes as your wheel rotated.

Also, I read a recent review of the 2014 R1200RT LC that was equipped with PR4s. Twas either Rider or MC Consumer News... They didn't like the tire, said that with all the siping, it felt squirmy when cornering.

I'm sure the PR3 and 4 move a lot of water when riding in the wet.

That's what all the sipes are about. Thing is, I ride way more often in dry conditions.

IMO and for my purposes, I believe the sipes may be too much by half.

Although so far, wear and handling seem to be fine (and that's a good thing), next tires for me will not PR3, if for no other reason, front tire noise.

d'milan

duckbubbles
IMO and for my purposes, I believe the sipes may be too much by half.
I have gone from the PR2 to the PR3 on my RT and am about halfway through the wear on them. I have to say that I liked the feel of the PR2 better on this bike- more confident.

It's strange, since on my departed ST, I preferred the feel of the PR3 over the PR2- same reasons, different bike. I have a set of PR4 sitting ready and since the Consumer News article I am wondering what I will find with them. A riding buddy has PR4 on his ST and loves them, another with a FJR loves them too.

I haven't noticed any noise on any of them, but I use earplugs all the time.

Frank

Hi Frank, results and preferences may vary. I really like the PR4's on my ST. Almost all time favorite range for me personally judging with low miles so far. :thumbsup:

It shouldn't be dangerous or unstable to mix tire brands, but I personally wouldn't. Go for pair of Michelins. The slightly used Conti may be sellable on Craigslist or someplace for a few bucks anyway.

My '13 RT bought new last summer had OEM Battlax tires but part of the purchase deal was those tires had to be switched out for PR3s. No comparison -- always loved PR1s and PR2s on past bikes. When the PR3s wear out I'll definitely get PR4s.

A few summers ago on the way to Sturgis I picked up a nice nail in a brand new rear tire. 1000 miles and dead.

It was a set of PR3's and the Harley/BMW dealer that I got sent to only had a Metzler (I believe) for the rear tire repair. They put it on and I continued the rest of the trip.

The tire didn't wear a long as my "regular" PR3's and when it wore out, I replaced it with another PR3. The front PR3 still had another 9000 miles left on it!!

The bottom line? I didn't have any problems with the mixed tire set, other than the crappy mileage of the Metzler.

AD

Archived