IGNORED

Oil and filter change question

chrismckay

Hello Guys,

I take ownership of a 2012 RT on the 22nd of July.

I am purchasing via a private sale, and the first thing I want to do is change the oil and filter.

I'd like to ask if there are any body panels or parts to remove to gain access to the plug and filter?

Chris :grin:

Morning Chris

No nothing to be removed to access the oil filter or drain plug.

The only problem you might face is not having an oil filter wrench that fits the BMW oil filter.

If a stock BMW oil filter the flutes won't match up to many common oil filter wrenches.

You c-a-n use a 90° band wrench if you get the correct one or take your new oil filter to a GOOD auto parts store & try to match the filter to a proper fitting wrench (maybe).

Or buy a proper fitting oil filter wrench on-line or from your local BMW dealer (expensive).

No removal needed, you can get to the drain plug and filter from the bottom easily. You do need to get the BMW Filter tool to fit the old and install the new filter. Also get a new crush washer for the drain plug before you reinstall it.

Pretty straightforward and really the same as any other oil change.

Good luck with the new bike!

Well, you don't need to buy the ridiculously expensive BMW filter wrench from BMW. There are some perfectly fine alternative brands, some even sold by BMW dealers (Max, Bobs, Beemer Boneyard, etc.) I use a steel band clamp that I already had, that just barely fits on the exposed end of the filter, with just enough room to swing the handle and loosen the filter. Not nearly as convenient or sexy as a real cup-style filter wrench, but it works. I guess if you plan to keep the bike for a while a good cup-style wrench would be a good investment.

And ditto on the crush washer. Get a few while you are at it.

pete

R1200RT

With German vehicles, there will be a crush washer on the drain plug and it's specified that this washer be replaced every time it's removed. Get one before starting. Wrench size for drain plug has been since forever 8 mm inhex (Allen).

Be sure the rubber ring on the filter comes off when you remove the old one. Sometimes they remain stuck to motor.

A plastic wrench needed to remove the fill plug should be part of the bike's tool kit.

Best deal anywhere for oil filter tool ... and made in Germany, too.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/ASM-BM1276.html

Best deal anywhere for oil filter tool ... and made in Germany, too.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/ASM-BM1276.html

That is a good price. I bought an Ilium (sp?) brand from the local BMW shop and paid $36. Ouch!! It wasn't priced on the rack; perhaps for obvious reasons.

When I got home I tried a band clamp with a pivoting 90 degree handle that I use on my Honda CR-V, and behold, it works. Another $36 down the drain. Oh well...

Archived