IGNORED

R1100RT v R1150RT

Andyrob

I'm test riding the 1150 and 12 this Friday and will then make a decision on which to buy.

However I saw the new K1200GT at the London bike show yesterday and was pretty impressed by the looks and spec. It won't be available to try until end of March though and I want to move now on an R 11, 1150 or 12.

If I go for the 12 on Friday then that's what I'll keep for a long time. If I like the 1150 though I may consider trading it if I love the GT when it comes out.

Anyway the question ...... how does the 1100 stack up against the 1150? The 11 will obviously be a cheaper option.

By the way if you're thinking "wait 'til April", I need a bike for longer distance work now.

Thanks

After riding my '00 R1100RT-P daily for almost a year, I recently rode my first 1150RT, an '04 model. Then I immediately rode an '00 1100RT (civilian model) just to see if any differences I was feeling were because my personal bike was an Authorities model.

Much of it is what you are used to (and, I guess, what you expect prior to taking the ride), but the 1150RT just didn't do it for me. One thing was that I didn't like the EVO/Integrated/Assisted brakes on the 1150. I have had them before on my K1200GT, and they seemed to better fit that bike than they did the RT. Also, whereas I believe that surging was finally fixed on the 1150's, I don't have that issue on my 1100 as I have removed the CCP. Bottom line: I just didn't feel that the 1150 did anything substantially better than my 1100, and it did some things worse.

With that said, I preferred the civilian 1100RT over the 1150RT of the 2 bikes I test rode.

But then again, what do I know because I left the dealer on a (new to me) 2002 K1200LT.

BTW, I have never ridden an R1200RT.

Conclusion: For the price difference and your potential desire to acquire one of the new K-GT's, I think that the R1100RT might be the way for you to go. Unless you are immediately swayed by the R1200RT, which may well occur from what I have read.

Good luck,

Tom

I still have my 1100RT despite test riding a single spark 1150s, a twin spark 1150 and even a 1200RT.

The first 1150 I tried surged horribly (not a problem on my 1100) and didnt seem to offer me any real benefits. The twin spark model came with fully linked evo brakes and those put me off because a little feathering of the rear brake for slow speed manouevres resulted in the front brake being slammed on. Not what I'd like whilst commuting through heavy traffic.

As far as styling goes I like the 1150 headlight but it's a shame the distinctive mudguard of the 1100 had to go. The 1150 wheels are prettier but the 3 spokers of the 1100 are much easier to clean.

My 1100 is likely to be replaced with another 1100 next time I see a pampered pristine low mileage example.

What Tom said, Ditto..... I enjoy my 1100RT as well, I've test ridded the 1200RT twice, and there is quite a difference between the 1100 & 1200, but not so much with the 1150 & 1200.

You may want to get a used 1100 (Approx $7,000 US), and end up keeping it as a second bike to your new K1200GT thumbsup.gif

Take one clean, late model R1100RT with non-powered/non-linked brakes and a well-spaced 5-speed tranny. Add one Techlusion R259, then sprinkle in some barbacks and a good aftermarket saddle. Finally, fold in two orange-yellow Öhlins, and you've got yourself a top-tier sport tourer for under $10k.

thumbsup.gif

Well, I only got to ride the 12RT yesterday and was impressed....... mostly.

I loved the motor, riding position, the comfort features (heated grips, seat etc), the build quality, and luggage. I was less impressed by the screen which at anything other than it's highest setting caused buffeting and at it's highest the edge was right across my eye line. If I dipped slightly though I was in a coccoon of still air. I guess a lower seat or aftermarket screen would help here.

The other thing which was slightly disconcerting was, when overtaking lorries, the bike seemed to weave and felt less than stable which was suprising considering it's weight.

Neither of these niggles has definately put me off the RT but I'm going to wait to try the GT in April and in the meantime invest in an 11 or 1150.

• 1 month later...

Did it! Bought my first BMW.

Bought an 04 RT1150 today. Rode it home (70 miles or so) and I cannot believe how well it handles. Comfort is fantastic and performance is good.

The only minor disappointment is the size of the top box which won't take a full face helmet, however I've got a large Givi top case which I'll probably fit, I assume I'll need a fitting kit.

I'd also like a radio, but not necessarily a cassete or CD ... is there one available?

Looking forward to the Summer.

The only minor disappointment is the size of the top box which won't take a full face helmet,...

Looking forward to the Summer.

While it's a bit of a trick, stock top box can hold a large full face helmet (my Shoei RF 900 size large). I have a hard copy from bmwr1100rt.com (isn't that this site's earlier name ?) entitled "Fit a Helmet" which instructs rider to place helmet on its side, facing right, slightly off center with nose (or front) of helmet rotated down slightly; instructions say this works for extra large shoei full face too. While I'm not certain, look at FAQ section of this site for "Fit a Helmet" story.

Congratulations on your new ride.

Wooster, also looking forward to summer

Thanks all .... you're right my Arai fits using this 'technique' (just)!

Any advice regarding radios? As I mentioned in my earlier post, I don't want a cassette or CD. Is just the radio available and if so, are they easy to fit or would you recommend BMW fitting? Thanks

killervache

Yes, a radio is available, as it was a stock option. I don't remember how much it was, but I think they quoted me somewhere in the range of $700+. I decided to have an Autocomm and XM satellite radio installed instead. Was actually cheaper, and you can still use the storage area beside the tank.

Haven't read the "technique" for fitting the helmet, but I knew it worked, cause mine does (Arai Quantum, Large). Something helpful if you're going to do it on the sidestand is to have a soft item (shirt/hat/gloves) on the left side of the box that will keep the helmet in position when you shut the lid.

Is just the radio available and if so, are they easy to fit or would you recommend BMW fitting? Thanks

Skip it. The cost is outrageous, the sound poor, and there are so many other options today for good sound; XM, MP3 players, iPODs, pocket FM units, earbud speakers, helmet speakers, etc, that are much better / cheaper.

Congrats on the new bike, you'll love it. My 04 keeps getting better as the mileage adds up.

What Ken said about the radio. When I bought mine I liked the blue color but switched to night black because it came with the radio. What a waste. I'd rather have the empty compartment for storage.

When I bought my 2002 1150RT a few months ago it had a CD player, etc in the box. I used that box on my 1100RT and missed it so that I removed the unit and now have my box back. I use an IPOD with earbuds when riding if I want music. I often wonder why there isn't another box on the other side of the tank? confused.gif

D

Thanks for your advice everybody, the fixed radio option sounds fairly complicated, expensive and not necessarily a great idea given the lost storeage space etc. I think I'll just use my ipod for music.

However I listen to the radio a lot. I have a pocket radio (DAB) but I doubt whether the reception will stay with me - I'll test it but I'm not hopeful.

Jerry_75_Guy
I often wonder why there isn't another box on the other side of the tank? confused.gif

D

That's where the right lobe of the gas tank is. If you really had some time on your hands, you could modify the tank and tupperware to cut off that portion of the gas tank and make a small door in the right side tupperware to access the new storage space, but I can't imagine anyone being willing to go through all the heart ache, PITA and fuel capacity loss just to achieve what a tankbag could do much better eek.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Archived