IGNORED

Seat height

chrismckay

chrismckay

Hello guys

There is an RT 2012 model that I'm keen on, the advertisement says it has a lower seat, I am 6ft tall,

Would I need to change the seat?

Chris

Doug_Baliko

Absolutely! But finding a stock standard height seat shouldn't be an expensive issue. The issue is really young to be that the stock seats are terrible anyway, for anything over 100 miles of riding. You may very well want an aftermarket seat once you have the bike for a while. There are several quality aftermarket seats available, and everyone has a different opinion on which is best.

Doug

Verify low seat or low suspension.

Then you have low seat and low suspension combination.

Then you have standard seat and low seat combination.

My 2012 is a standard suspension and came with a standard seat. I felt a bit tall on the bike so I purchased a low seat and for me it was much better. I am 6 ft tall with a 33 inch inseam.

So not to confuse you there is a low seat for standard suspension and a low seat for low suspension. They are NOT interchangeable.

The best thing to do is try the bike on for size if possible.

If you have the VIN for the bike use this site to see options.

It may or may not list low suspension. I ran my VIN and since I have standard suspension it did not list it.

The LOW Suspension is a Code option number 499 for the 2012 model.

If it comes with a standard suspension then there is NO option code.

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

soggybottom

Hey Chris, I just bought a 12 with the standard heated seat, has 400 miles on it. I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam, If your is heated I would trade. But, the bike is in my NC home and I'm still in AZ. I won't even see the bike till I get there on Aug. 11. If your near NC I would ride and swap. But I would not be able to mail it till I return to AZ on Aug. 23rd. I will be in NC about a week so I want to ride the bike while I'm there, can't do it without a seat. Let me know if you get the bike, we can swap pics and exchange at end of Aug. If it is a one piece seat the swap will not work. The one piece seat is not heated. We would only exchange the front riders seat.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Chris, I just bought a 12 with the standard heated seat, has 400 miles on it. I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam, If your is heated I would trade. But, the bike is in my NC home and I'm still in AZ. I won't even see the bike till I get there on Aug. 11. If your near NC I would ride and swap. But I would not be able to mail it till I return to AZ on Aug. 23rd. I will be in NC about a week so I want to ride the bike while I'm there, can't do it without a seat. Let me know if you get the bike, we can swap pics and exchange at end of Aug. If it is a one piece seat the swap will not work. The one piece seat is not heated. We would only exchange the front riders seat.

PM sent...

• 2 weeks later...
Does BMW have a lower seat with heat? I need a lower seat, but really like the heating function.

Yes, I have a 2012 with standard suspension and purchased a BMW LOW seat with heat.

Seat, low, black, front 52537683648 $358.74

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39130

Reminder that a low seat has the same seat pan as the standard seat.

The contour of the foam padding drops it down to a lower height and by doing this you have less padding for comfort. I can tolerate the lower seat with less padding but others may not.

I am in the market for the one piece BMW comfort seat but am waiting for a good price. They are just too expensive for my blood.

Archived