IGNORED

R1100 pinging

Glacier_g_rt

Purchased '96 R1100RT Aug. 05 w/ 73K. By Nov. had 76.5K with no maintenance. Bike started pinging at higher rpm's on hard acceleration. Has Bosch R3 Platinum +4 plugs that don't look all that bad. I believe the plugs have at least 6K on them, but not sure. Have always used Premium gas and bike runs good except when accelerating to higher rpm's. Temperature reading of four or five bars is normal. Anyone out there have an idea of what might be causing the pinging? The guy I bought the bike from went to Iraq, helicopter pilot, and he has not answered my e-mail to him about this problem. Nice guy, I hope he is o.k.

Might be cam chain tensioners. Mine rattle almost like an ignition knock or ping, but usually on a flat or decelerating throttle. Listen for the rattle at other times & this may be your cause. If so, see here and here.

Was too late to edit my posting RE: R1100 pinging, but the plugs are Bosch 4418 Platinum + 4 for anyone questioning the R3 I posted.

You are already using premium fuel, so...

If ignition timing is accurate (should be), cam chain rattles, etc. have been checked, it might be time to do a combustion chamber check to see how carboned-up everything is in there.

It might be time to decarbon piston tops, etc.

Nothing like little glowing carbon particles to pre-ignite the mixture.

A couple years back, someone here posted a Yamaha labeled product used in marine engines to get rid of carbon, but the name of the product escapes me.

read this about decarboning

I found the thread. The product was called Yamaha Ring Free.

Archived