IGNORED

CB FOR 1200RT

dan_forker

I have just purchased a 1200RT and want to install a CB since most of the people I ride with use CB's. A friend of mine has a 1150RT and has been trying to get a CB hooked up through an Autocom unit for the last two years, never successfully. If he tries to power the CB off of the bike battery and use an external antenna rather than the rubber duck antennae on the handheld unit he has tied into the Autocom he gets so much feedback he can't use the unit.

Do any of you have a solution? I have looked at the J&M handlebar mount system which I don't think can be tied to an Autocom but has it's own intercom, but it looks really cumbersom mounted on the bar in the Sierra pictures. Has anyone tried that unit? Any suggestions of any kind?

I have the J&M and LOVE it. It's not cumbersome at all. In fact it's the most compact CB/intercom and most convienient system setup I've seen around for what it provides. I have a roady2 XM radio running through it as well. As far as wiring goes.... TOURTECH makes something (listed for the GS but works for all CAN buses) called a "TPS 15 CAN Bus Output Helper". It wires to the battery then allows you to wire up to 15 +/- leads into it. It was like $40 I think??

Good luck in your search thumbsup.gif

Larry

Another user of J&M's 2003CB. I had it on my '97 RT and moved it to the '05. I have my XM, V-1 piped into it, thru a Mix-it unit.

If you go this route, I recommend getting the better headset. I went thru three of the lower quality. Sierra was great about replacing them but I was tired of sending them in and waiting for the replacements.

The hardest part is placing the antenna and setting the swr. I went with a Firestick NGP attached to a mount bolted to the underside of the luggage rack. It's one thing that I need to clean up.

HTH,

Rob Lessen

'05RT

'96RRS

'91R100GSPD

'73XL250

The question I have for both of you then is did you go with the J&M modified unit for the BMW where they put a separate push to talk button on beside the left hand grip or did you make your own mounting bracket and leave the push to talk unmodified on the J&M unit. It was the stub from the original push to talk and the separate on/off switch added to the underside of the unit that I thought looked bad.

Also, where did you get the "mixit" unit. I need to run the BMW radio and an XM radio through the headsets also.

I got the standard unit from Sierra. It is the Dual unit with the PTT remote botton that is wrapped around the left grip. I would like to get the one on the bracket. Have you seen it availible seperately? I turn it off with the volume control wheel for the CB.

The Mix-it is from a fellow BMW rider, John A. Brown. His web site is www.mixitproducts.com There are two versions, the first and the newer version. I'm trading in one of mine for the new version.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Go to the Sierra web site and you can see the BMW mount that must be what you have and then the standard mount. (www.sierra-mc.com) I think the reason for the BMW mount is to get around the height of the other handlebar controls. Seems to me like it would be a better deal to have the standard model and figure out a mount.

Archived