IGNORED

New Lights for RT

Jeff in VA

I decided to keep my RT instead of taking the buyback or trade offer, so now I am looking at adding a few farkles, starting with lights. I ordered a set of Darlas from Clearwater Lights. They have come up with a very nice control mechanism for them.

http://clearwaterlights.com/downloads/CAN-Opener%20Manual.pdf

My Darlas arrived Monday. I am anxious to install them, but I will be out of town till week after next. They install right into the CANBUS system, via the Tire Pressure Module, and no wire splicing is required!

I too am farkling my '14 RTW while it's quarantined!

How do the Darlas look? I haven't seen them in person, but in the pics they look great.

I believe they are the same dimensions as the Glendas, and they mount low on the fork. I had Glendas on my '08 RT, and they were terrific. The Darlas are, I believe, over three times more powerful than the Glendas.

Jeff, the irony of ironies is that since February I had been waiting for the last set of accessories to come in. Well, the day they came in was when the RT recall was announced. The high seat was an easy switch out. The accessory lights, they installed at my 6K service. These are the BMW ones, just like on my GT. They look great and I am sure they will be even better at night, like they do on the K bike.

Chris

They do everything! Really, they are configurable. By default they are running lights (low beam on) dimmed to 50% during the day and 30% at night. When the high beams are on they go to 100%. They can be configured to turn off when the high beams are on, required for some countries. Also, can be configured to turn on 100% or strobe when the horn is pressed. And it works through the wonder wheel. The CAN-Opener 3 module has some other features for future items too. Here is the link to the manual.

http://www.clearwaterlights.com/downloads/Glenda%20-%20Darla%20BMW%20R1200GSW-%20R1200RTW_sm.pdf

Alan

I put my erica's on the day the stop ride came out. A wonderful install. If you put the erica wireoing harness on first it hooks inot the bikes canbus system. Later other lights can be directly wires to the erica harness. Very simple. The erica's run dimmed unless high is selected. You can also custom program the amount of dimming. Very cool. Works through the wonder wheel.They are very bright in the shed, I haven't had the opertunity to test in the real world. I added a stebel air horn at the same time.

They do everything! Really, they are configurable. By default they are running lights (low beam on) dimmed to 50% during the day and 30% at night. When the high beams are on they go to 100%.

Alan

So they they always keep the same beam pattern but only vary in intensity?

Which is no good what so ever if you have really bright high beam, then when you go to low beam (say, because a car is coming towards you), you then have less light because the stock headlight choice is to go from 2 high beam lamps to a single low beam lamp, and your auxiliary lights have just halved in intensity too...but they are still dazzling the oncoming car driver because it doesn't matter how much you dim them, they are still aimed in his eyes.

The dimmed light is bright but not like a high beam and the light arenm't aimmed up into the drivers eyes. They are just like any other bike with factory auxs.

I really want to put a louder horn on my new RT but it looked like the Stebels wouldn't fit. Where did you mount yours and did you have any problems with the install?

I really want to put a louder horn on my new RT but it looked like the Stebels wouldn't fit. Where did you mount yours and did you have any problems with the install?

I would like to see this also! Would you be able to show how / where you mounted the lights and the horn? Thanks!

Guest Kakugo
According to this the Stebel will fit http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-RT-LC/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Nautilus-Wolo-Horn.html Plug and play wire harness too. A report from a user would be nice.

Jay

50€ for a bracket and some wires is armed robbery. :rofl:

Nippy Norman sells their "CANBUS wiring" for £16 (not a bad deal considering that connector sells for 15€ or some similar silly sum) and you can make the bracket yourself from a piece of scrap metal.

I mounted the new horn just behind the old horn. Excisting bolt. The horn I got from twisted throttle, the wiring harness from Hornig. The cost of the harness plus shipping was rediculous but it was plug and play so the install was piece of cake.

How did this change from a lighting thread to a horn thread?

Have you considered starting a new thread to keep these items separate. This keeps things neat and it also helps future users and also forum searches.

Archived