IGNORED

Did I do a dumb thing?

Augie

I just did a tire change on my 2013RT. In the process of pulling the front fender to facilitate a front tire change It looked like the fender had a bolt going through the front brake junction block mounted on the lower triple tree, So I loosened it, and I start to see fluid dripping onto the floor, I tightened it back up and the leak stopped. Once I had it all back together I checked the front brake lever. It has 2 pulls with no pressure then acted normally (pressure being felt, mid throw.)

Now my last experience was with a 2004 1150RS with the servo brakes, where there was a separate pump and circuits for each wheel. Now if I did that with the RS, I would have had to bleed the lower front legs to get the air out of the system.

If I have problems what's the deal with bleeding the front brakes. I can look that procedure up if needed.

Evening Augie

Are you SURE it was brake fluid leaking? Maybe just some water caught up in the bolt hole.

Having to pump the brake lever AFTER a tire change is perfectly normal as the caliper pistons need to be pushed back into the calipers to remove the calipers from the brake rotors.

Pumping the lever brings the pistons back out & brings the pads back in contact with the brake rotors.

duckbubbles

That is the bolt on the banjo fitting for the front brakes. If the lever pumped up to a normal feel you are probably OK. You may consider bleeding the system if you have doubts.

Frank

Yup it felt like oil.

Because it was leaking I though that air might have gotten into the system.

Evening Augie

Are you SURE it was brake fluid leaking? Maybe just some water caught up in the bolt hole.

Having to pump the brake lever AFTER a tire change is perfectly normal as the caliper pistons need to be pushed back into the calipers to remove the calipers from the brake rotors.

Pumping the lever brings the pistons back out & brings the pads back in contact with the brake rotors.

And thanks for the reassurance about bleeding them.

That is the bolt on the banjo fitting for the front brakes. If the lever pumped up to a normal feel you are probably OK. You may consider bleeding the system if you have doubts.

Frank

Yup it felt like oil.

Because it was leaking I though that air might have gotten into the system.

Evening Augie

As long as you didn't lose a lot of fluid I don't see how any air could have gotten in.

The master cylinder is higher than that banjo fitting so the fluid in the upper lines & master cylinder reservoir being higher would have maintained a positive head pressure on that fitting.

Just check the reservoir fluid level to make sure you didn't lose a lot of fluid.

• 3 weeks later...

I like DRs logic- all correct- but call me old school. If I open a brake system I always bleed it. Nothing like certainty, to me at least.

Archived