IGNORED

Replacement bike

Hoghead

I'm thinking about asking for my money back as an option because of all the excuses and B/S that I have been told from my Dealer. I really like the R1200RT and am wondering if there is any other bike that handles and preforms like this bike?....What brand would it be? I've tried a FJR 1300 and don't like it. Are there any other options besides waiting to probably winter?....TIA

Sadly the 14 RT is in a class of its own right now its that good. The trophy was getting close to the 13 Rt but 14 left it in the dust. A multistrada is nothing like an RT I've ridden em both.

I would also say Triumph Trophy and go ahead and laugh but how about a 2014 Moto Guzzi Norge? The norge with current $1250 discount could be had for $15k out the door.

I'm thinking about asking for my money back as an option because of all the excuses and B/S that I have been told from my Dealer. I really like the R1200RT and am wondering if there is any other bike that handles and preforms like this bike?....What brand would it be? I've tried a FJR 1300 and don't like it. Are there any other options besides waiting to probably winter?....TIA

Hoghead...

Like in Harley Davidson?

IME Harley guys accept BMW but scoff at the " Japs"

Don't know why that is.

Anyway

what year FJR did you ride??

I'm scheduled to demo a 2014 standard this week or next.

Stopped by a local Yamaha Dealer this weekend and they had a new 2013 on the floor.

$12,980.00

Yikes..

That's a lot of bike for the $

For me, I'll, test a standard bike , but I want a E, if I like the standard I'll seek out the best deal.

Yamaha has steadily improved the bike over the years.

It's a bit long in the tooth, but with cruise control and electronic suspension adjustment Yamaha has again updated a very proven platform.

I know BMW carries a lot of gravitas and panache... however, they have warts too.

I feel it when my friends gush over my bikes...

Even strangers to the mode express delight and awe the brand.

However, the competition has caught up, and BMW continues to have reliability and build problems.

$12,980... man oh man, that's a steal.

I might even consider the leftover 2013.

d'milan

I rode Harley's for 20+ years and no more will be in my Garage. I never knew how much fun riding Motorcycles was till I bought this RT..Harley's are a heavy piece of something to spend money on. and they have a heat problem......The FJR was a 14...It had good power and rode nice but the seating position was terrible for me....

I have tried most and I must say it is a personal thing. However I cant find any bike that does it all as well as the RT. I have heard a few folk big up the Triumph. I cant see why. I find it a bad example of someone copying BMW and getting it VERY wrong.

I traded my 2014 R1200RT in for a 2014 K1600GTL Exclusive last week. I have only put 200km on it so far but it seems to be an excellent alternative to the RT, for now.

I am not giving mine up, it will take as long as it takes. I have been given a loaner which is a demo GS-LC, $2000,- of accessories of my choosing and another year of warranty, taking it up to 3 years warranty. For myself BMW has come through and there is nothing on the market that comes close to this bike. My dealer has been looking after me in both service and during trade-ins of previous up to current bike.

No vehicle maker today makes their own suspension/shock absorber anymore. So BMW got caught out by a faulty product supplied for their bikes. Shit happens.

In my view this is what I see across the forums:

1) There are just some customers where BMW can never do right by them, no matter what they offer as compensation.

2) Lots of very loud whingers of which most don't even own this bike.

3)From what I have seen on the forums, BMW UK branch is really failing their customers.

4) There seem to be a few local dealers that are just simply not stepping up to the plate. Customers have very different experiences depending who their dealers are. From what I have seen on German forums, the word is out that Headquarters does keep an eye on them and take note of who treats their customers right and who don't. Those that don't might just regret this in the future.

5) There are ridiculous claims out there of the bikes loosing huge value due to this incident. IMHO, it will have next to zero impact. The whole faulty component will be replaced and that's the end of it. In 6 months, nobody will be talking about this anymore.

How do you like the K1600? Is the extra weight bothersome? I have been riding Harley's so the extra weight wouldn't bother me but that is one reason I got away from the Harley's is becuse of the weight and several other things....

I traded my 2014 R1200RT in for a 2014 K1600GTL Exclusive last week. I have only put 200km on it so far but it seems to be an excellent alternative to the RT, for now.

Indeed, BMW UK at the company level are not at all providing any sort of adequate service currently. I really feel sorry for my dealer at this point. Over many years and multiple bikes they have ALWAYS done right by me and, I know it's the same for their other customers. For that reason, and the fact it's an awesome bike, I am currently hanging on despite that, in the UK, we have still had no communications and been provided zero options. Come on BMW UK, get your finger out!!

5) There are ridiculous claims out there of the bikes loosing huge value due to this incident. IMHO, it will have next to zero impact.

Alfred,

Yes, I've wondered about that line of thinking also.

They're replacing the shock. Don't about half of the RT owners do that themselves to change out to something else? (Uh, not me).

I think the values will be just fine. I think "waiting" for a used, cheap 2014 R1200RTw will be an exercise in futility for some.

AD

For me the RT is a keeper, like others have said I did my homework and I could not find anything that even comes close to the technology in the new RT. Yes indeed shit happens and BMW were caught with their pants down on the suspension issue.

It will get fixed hopefully sooner than we want, after speaking with BMW Aus yesterday they are wanting to do the right thing by their customers.

Hopefully soon I will get my loan bike, it has been approved just waiting for the local dealer to call me to say come and pick it up.

The $2K offer of BMW accessories/tyres/clothing/servicing etc has made things good for me and now I will be able to bring forward my purchase of the BMW Communicator and associated helmets.

The extra years warranty will be the icing on the cake as this takes me from 2 years standard in Aus to 4 years as I already purchased the extra 12 months option. Peace of mind for four years now, I don't think any motorcycle manufacturer's offer that here in Aus.

Severe weather warning here yesterday and today so not motorcycle friendly weather anyway so not missing a loan bike anyway but once the bad weather clears that's another story!

Teddy

I am not giving mine up, it will take as long as it takes. I have been given a loaner which is a demo GS-LC, $2000,- of accessories of my choosing and another year of warranty, taking it up to 3 years warranty. For myself BMW has come through and there is nothing on the market that comes close to this bike. My dealer has been looking after me in both service and during trade-ins of previous up to current bike.

No vehicle maker today makes their own suspension/shock absorber anymore. So BMW got caught out by a faulty product supplied for their bikes. Shit happens.

In my view this is what I see across the forums:

1) There are just some customers where BMW can never do right by them, no matter what they offer as compensation.

2) Lots of very loud whingers of which most don't even own this bike.

3)From what I have seen on the forums, BMW UK branch is really failing their customers.

4) There seem to be a few local dealers that are just simply not stepping up to the plate. Customers have very different experiences depending who their dealers are. From what I have seen on German forums, the word is out that Headquarters does keep an eye on them and take note of who treats their customers right and who don't. Those that don't might just regret this in the future.

5) There are ridiculous claims out there of the bikes loosing huge value due to this incident. IMHO, it will have next to zero impact. The whole faulty component will be replaced and that's the end of it. In 6 months, nobody will be talking about this anymore.

Spot on!

What do you think of the GS?

Rgds

Glenn

For the short home run I have done on it (will get more of a chance this weekend), it's a very nice bike. Very agile and sits really well on the HWY at speed. Through sharp sweepers it holds its line really well and is quite easy to flick from one side to the next.

Despite all it's attributes, I am not a fan and it doesn't hold water to my RT. But that's just me not being "into" that kind of bike.

If I was going to buy one of them I would go with the GSA and bypass the GS.

Archived