IGNORED

2013 RT front brake dragging after tyre change...

Over

Put some new continental tires on my RT yesterday.

All torqued up and tested front wheel for fee play and spinning, noticed that the front wheel does not spin / rotate freely.

It sounds like one font callipers has a very slight drag.

Is there any adjustment ?

I think I'll remove each calliper (from the tubes) and wiggle them on the disc to open them out a bit.

It's possible they were dragging before, so may end up removing wheel and checking for any evidence of something on the pad surface.

duckbubbles

I have used a pair of Channel lock pliers to gently push each brake pad away form the disc without removing the caliper (using the "ring" on each pad) . Make sure the wheel rotates easily and pump up the brakes again, and re-check. If there is still a problem, you may need to disassemble and find out what is going on.

Frank

Guest Kakugo

If you are new to BMW, it's very possible everything's fine.

These brakes always, always feel like they are dragging when spinning a wheel from a standstill, even when everything's normal.

Run a simple test. Get a spray bottle, fill it with water. Go riding for a couple miles at slow speed and then stop using only the rear brake. Get out your spray bottle and spray the front discs. If the water doesn't fizzle, there's no problem.

Morning Over

As long as the brake pads are back in correctly & the pad friction surface is towards the rotors then you are probably normal.

They always seem to drag a bit after reassembly.

Try riding a few miles then give the front wheel another spin. It should have a slight drag but still spin easily by hand.

What a good idea!

I would suggest drinking a lot of water first to save carrying a spray bottle, but not sure I can get front and back disks in one session.....

:D

So tonight I pulled the callipers from the tubes, and used a spreader to open up the pads and push in the pistons.

Both sides are fine and debris / score free and with the pads fully retracted I put the callipers back on and set the torque.

The wheel rotated freely and very smoothly, and when I gradually reapplied the pressure a few pumps and the brakes applied and stopped the wheel fine.

There is friction and the wheel does not spin as freely as with no pads at all, but I also listened to the rear and it sounds sthe same.

Will take a short ride tomorrow and see how warm the disc is.

It's booked in for 6000mile service on Tuesday (200 mile each way) so they can take a proper look and see if it's OK

Problem seems to have been in my head, as previous comments suggest, may be normal to get a slight drag, discs were hardly warm at all.

Morning Over

Yes, it is normal for a little (very slight) drag as there are no actual return springs in the calipers.

Pad retraction (very slight) is done with piston seal design & somewhat through pad/rotor kickback while riding.

If the pads actually retracted away from the brake rotors there would be excess lever or pedal movement before braking started.

soggybottom

Dirt will build up around the pistons and sometimes it will not allow the pistons to retract. Next time, remove the pads, grab your wifes tooth brush and scrub around the pistons with spray on brake cleaner. Then while road testing better stop and buy a new tooth brush!

Archived