IGNORED

Hepco and Becker Engine Bars

Boffin

Having recently taken possession of a shiny, low-mileage R850R with chrome heads I felt I needed to add protection. I also need somewhere to attach the 18-watt Cree LED spotlights I have just bought.

The obvious solution was engine bars. After looking at the options I elected to buy the Hepco and Becker engine bars in black. Although chrome is more durable, I felt that black would look better on this bike.

Motorworks are a good reliable source of BMW bits and they had the engine bars for £193 inc tax (about $330) - sold to the USA they would be $280 + shipping.

The bars arrived the next day. The box included all the required fittings, including two lots of spacers of different lengths - presumably some models or R850R or R1100R need the longer spacers. The instruction set was sparse - just a two sheets of A4 paper with torque tables and an exploded drawing showing where the bits go (in German).

That said, fitting was a breeze. The bars and fittings were very high quality and every mounting point lined up without needing any tweaking of the bars. The job took about an hour from start to finish and on the R850R needed nothing removing from the bike.

The bars are solid and mount to the frame mounting points and the through-hole at the lower-front of the engine block. The valve covers are accessible and there is no need to remove the bars for normal service tasks.

They also do not look like they will interfere with cornering clearance.

IMAG1046-L.jpg

Crop-bars-L.jpg

Now I just need to wait for the lights to arrive.

Oh, and the larger screen.

Now I am going to mount the extender-fender and my Garmin cradle.

Andy

Those engine protection bars look great! I am thinking they would fit my R1100R too. It looks like you can do regular maintenance without removing them?

One of the first things I got for my R was the fender extender. Keeps most of the front wheel grime off the bike.

Having recently taken possession of a shiny, low-mileage R850R with chrome heads I felt I needed to add protection.
Yay, a Chromie! :grin: Me too. And yep, I've got bars on mine too but they're chrome. I definitely don't want to be finding new chrome covers for a 15yr old bike. But I don't know I'll ever drop it since it has very low center of gravity (especially compared to the RT). I haven't farkled mine up - not sure I will be doing long distance miles on it, more for fun jaunts around New England.

Andy,

You are making it very hard to load up the bike onto a truck or trailer with that humongous chain and lock. :rofl:

Love the looks of the bars on the bike. :thumbsup:

Those engine protection bars look great! I am thinking they would fit my R1100R too. It looks like you can do regular maintenance without removing them?

One of the first things I got for my R was the fender extender. Keeps most of the front wheel grime off the bike.

Yes, they also fit the R1100R and they do not interfere with routine maintenance.

Andy

Andy,

You are making it very hard to load up the bike onto a truck or trailer with that humongous chain and lock. :rofl:

Love the looks of the bars on the bike. :thumbsup:

The bike is a good 100 yards from the nearest road - I like to think any thief would have to work for his booty ;)

Andy

Archived