IGNORED

2014 RT Decision?

trout man

I have an RT on order with the build date scheduled for late June but the dealer has informed me this might be extended due to the rear shock issues. The dealer informed me that he would get back to me as soon as he has more information. I have good impressions of my local dealer.

What are people hearing about RT’s that are being built now or has their production has been put on hold until the shock issues have been resolved?

As much as I have wanted to purchase my first BMW motorcycle from our local dealer I am now fearful of more issues with the redesigned Rt. I have been studying all the BMW forums and have learned a great deal about how risky it is to purchase redesigned or totally new BMW motorcycles. It seems like 50% of the members suggest caution on newly issued bike with the suggestion of waiting a few years until all the bugs are out. These members now look like profits and I suspect that the shock issue is likely the most severe example of how little they test their product before it is placed on the market. I cannot imagine the frustration new wet head RT owners have on not being able to enjoy their bikes. Obviously they are tremendous expense. I am sure half the forum members like myself have to hang up riding by late November or earlier. It must really suck for you guys.

I do have the option of picking up a new 2013 Rt out of the area as my local dealer has no 2013’s left. I hate to not give them my business but the issues with the 2014 seem to be a bad omen. What do members think? I will be picking up my first Rt no matter what but I do have a choice.

I am dying to ride again and do not want to put this on hold.

Thanks bohemian bob

Guest Kakugo

Have you considered getting a GS/GSA-LC instead?

BMW here has offered people who ordered an RT-LC but still haven't taken charge of it the possibility to get another model with no penalties. You may want to talk to your dealer if that possibility exist in your country as well.

Bob, I'm in a similar situation except that my build date is a bit further out. Recalls happen. The nature of this one doesn't sour me on the '14. I plan to keep my order in the pipeline.

That said, I have a bike currently and ride almost year 'round anyway. So while I'd like my new ride sooner, it can wait.

The '14 RT has everything I've been looking for in a sport tourer. Any other bike would seem (to me) like settling.

Morning Bob

BMW does test their new motorcycle models before offering to the public. They just have a poor record of catching some of the problems, or do catch them but decide to do nothing to improve them until pushed by the first year beta testers.

You can ask 1000 riders & will probably get 800 different answers on this so asking here or any other website will gain you product knowledge but no firm answer to your question on buying a first year BMW motorcycle.

Some riders have no problems, some riders like the interface with their dealer & take the new-model BMW problems in stride, others just drink the kool-aid & buy anyhow, & some trade every year so long term problems are no big deal to them.

You can find about anything you want online to back up your resolve to purchase or not purchase a first year BMW motorcycle.

Personally I don't like being a PAYING beta tester so usually don't buy first year model of any motor vehicle if at all possible to avoid.

If you are serious about wanting to know about BMW motorcycles first year model year history, or first year of a new model, then you need to get serious & not ask on a BMW board but instead look in the BMW parts manuals, or look in BMW issued service bulletins. If past history is any indication of current BMW first year model offerings you will find a LOT of parts changes/upgrades in the very early life of most older BMW models. Same with service bulletins that seem to be much more prevalent on the first-year models.

I have had 2 first year BMWs. I have had some minor issues that BMW resolved above and beyond but my wife says I am a low maintenance guy. I bought the first year both times and have a 2014 on order now because they are significant jumps over what is currently on the market. I don't go looking for first year bikes the timing works out that way.

I don't consider myself a beta tester. This is not new technology that BMW uses in their bikes. They have had it in their cars for years. It is just a different application. In my opinion the beta testers were the car buyers.

I am not sure what I am going to do about the bike on order. My feeling now is to see what happens. I am not sure when the production will be for my bike, at that point I might just make the decision to change it to a 2015 if possible.

Also I would be leery about info from any forum, they are often populated by the passionate or disgruntled or combination of the two.

I going to switch to a 2014 GS. Was on vacation over the weekend and still find I steel out the gravel single lane roads much more than the highway.

Love the looks of the RT but being stuck on pavement won't work.

clip--

I don't consider myself a beta tester. This is not new technology that BMW uses in their bikes. They have had it in their cars for years. It is just a different application. In my opinion the beta testers were the car buyers.

--clip

Afternoon Downer

Problem is, the technology isn't what fails, it is usually the hard parts that fail.

As far as I know not many hard parts are the same as used or tested in automobiles.

Not many automobiles have final drives, or new design 1200 water cooled wet clutch engines, or even handlebar switches, or windshield lift links. Even the fueling control is different.

Take the current failing rear shock for instance, that sure wasn't tested on any automobiles-- the shock shaft failed not the technology.

clip--

--clip

Afternoon Downer

Problem is, the technology isn't what fails, it is usually the hard parts that fail.

As far as I know not many hard parts are the same as used or tested in automobiles.

Not many automobiles have final drives, or new design 1200 water cooled wet clutch engines, or even handlebar switches, or windshield lift links. Even the fueling control is different.

Take the current failing rear shock for instance, that sure wasn't tested on any automobiles-- the shock shaft failed not the technology.

Good points.

If the shock ends up being a manufacturing issue as I think you are suggesting a run of bad shocks could have just easily been put on a string of 2017 models down the road. That is not a beta testing issue. That is a manufacturing issue.

Electronic suspensions have been on some cars for years.

QC is a tricky dynamic now that so much is outsourced. The other items haven't had issues on the 2014 have they? I haven't heard of them but this suspension issue is the first I have been following the new RT. Final drives have been an issue in the past but I haven't heard a lot about it on the new GSs. The final drive issue on BMWs have reached legendary status. Not sure what to think about them 200k miles and never had an issue. I don't think I was lucky, maybe those that have the final drive take a dump are unlucky.

Man made mechanical devices are not perfect. Spending extra for a premium brand doesn't guarantee perfection.

Evening Downer

We really don't know yet if the new dynamic rear shock was a manufacturing issue, or supplied internal part issue, or a specified material issue, or a design issue. (about all we know at this time is that the shaft has failure issues that are serious enough to bring on a Stop-Riding order)

Whatever the reason it obviously passed the BMW durability testing part but seems to have failed the early-customer beta testing.

Give the 2014 about a year for the first build issues to show up.

About 1 year from now look for parts changes in the parts manual & for specific service bulletins addressing early production shortcomings.

Hopefully some of the early water cooled engine/clutch issues have been addressed on the RT as it (the W/C engine) was used in the last years GS so at least that is ahead of some of the other new for 14 hard parts.

I am in the same situation as the OP.

I have a RT on order. However, I am not going to cancel, as IMHO the technology is not new, as such.

The frame and engine are derived from the (proven) GS platform, and the dash/control system from the 1600.

Plus, the bike is just so great to ride!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the feedback. Just wanted to give members an update. I did ask for a refund from my local dealer on the 2014 Rt. Unfortunately they did not access to 2013 new Rt’s so I had to search the area. I really love the 2013 Black 90th Anniversary model and I did find one at a BMW dealer Dunbar Euro sport in Brockton Mass. It had all the options and I nervously trailered my baby back to Caledonia, NY. I started off slow on country roads. Then I took it to the Catskills and fly-fished some of my favorite streams. When feeling more confident it took into rush hour traffic and it is now my primary way of getting to work at least until the snow flies.

I just love everything about the Rt. My last bike was the Honda St and though the St was excellent my Rt is so much more fun to ride and it is perfect for all the city driving I do. The feel of that boxer engine is just how other members described.

The Rt came decked out and I was able to have the dealer throw in the largest matching black top box, tank bag and the magnesium engine covers. The bike had 0 miles on it and I had a great experience buying the bike from Dunbar. Really like the more traditional styling of the 2013 Rt and I did not care for some of the options offered on the 2014.

The bike did come with the lower heated seat. I was concerned that my 30 inseam would still be an issue but I can almost flat foot my bike and I was never able to come close to flat footing with my ST. I find the standard low heated seat very comfortable and I doubt I will go to a after market seat.

The suggestion to pick up Proficient Motorcycling was great advice. It is now my bible and intend to re read it every spring.

Still lacking in some good wear but I have a Darien on order along with some of their pants. Would love to quit my job and hit the road but duty calls.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. It feels great to be riding again and the Rt has always been my dream bike.

Bohemian Bob

Archived