IGNORED

Battery Problem

Smilly

Since getting my new 2014 R12100RT about 1.5 month ago, I had to have the battery charged/boosted the day I took delivery, done by the dealer and I had to put the battery tender on it 3 times and had to boost it twice.

It seems that every time the bike is stopped for more than a few day the battery just drain.

Now the last time it happen was yesterday, I have not rode my bike since the Not to ride advice given on Thursday, (reason I tried to start it was to set up the satellite radio, not to ride)

I checked the battery poles, both of them were Ok and there is no accessories left on when I stopped the bike.

So anyone had this type of problem or anyone as a solution.

Morning Smilly

2 possibilities come to mind.

One is a bad battery (have your BMW dealer load test it.

2nd, is a parasitic load drawing the battery down when the bike sits. This could be anything from a computer not shutting down to an aftermarket accessory that is wired incorrectly or malfunctioning.

If you have ANYTIHNG aftermarket wired into the bike you might disconnect that & see if your problem goes away.

Have you added any aftermarket accessories? I understand you said none are on. You must to have a short somewhere. I hate electrical gremlins.

Recently after the bike sat for a week I put it on a tender, it seem to take a while until it went into the float mode. I felt it may have been leaving the key in the ignition, I posted this the list. Other said it isn’t a problem on the 14RT. I have now test this and find that to be true, for the past 6 days I’ve been reading the bikes voltage, it’s been holding stay at 12.87 for the past 4 days.

Good luck,

Jay

I agree with D.R.

I have left my bike for a month without driving and no problems. If you don't have aftermarket electronics on the bike, then the dealer should be able to find and fix under warranty.

FYI, YouTube has some great videos on parasitic drains. I'm not suggesting that you do this when the bike is under warranty, but they are worth watching if you are new to this type of problem.

My battery was replaced by dealer before I took delivery. As I understand/remember it, there was a bad batch of batteries that prompted a preemptive replacement.

Dan

Just to confirm, in it's normal configuration with no added accessories, the bike can stand for at least a fortnight with no issues at all.

During the whole Bluetooth setup which took multiple goes and at least 3/4 hour of bike on without engine running, the bike started without problems a week later.

Get the "new" battery load tested, you might still have a bad one even if it is new.

Archived