IGNORED

Camhead valve clearance.

HDH

I checked the valve clearance today of my 2011 R1200RT at 18k miles. The valves clearance has barely changed since the 12k service and all valve clearances are in the middle of the range.

IMG_20140604_163510_306_zpsbb5e9dee.jpg

I was wondering if other camhead owners have already needed to change the original shims (semi spheres) and if so at what mileage?

With what I have seen these 18k miles I may decide to inspect the valves every 12k instead of very 6k. Seems a little overkill to do it every 6k. Let me know what you think.

The tables below show the difference in valve clearance between the 12k and 18k service. Top is 12k service:

ValvecleancesR1200RT_zps2da0a334.jpg

Dave_in_TX

I've swapped two shims on my 2011 R1200RT in the 55k miles I've had it. Both of the valves that I swapped shims on had clearances on the loose end of the spec already at 6k. Had they been in the middle originally, they would probably not needed a shim swap.

Morning HDH

I have had to change a few (sometimes a new shim required & sometime just a swaps between cylinders)

Very few changes mid-range mileage, usually at first valve check, then possibly at higher mileage. (thing is, I have no idea where they were when the bike came out of the factory).

I don't own a camhead bike myself so this on others bikes that I work on.

If I owned a camhead, personally I would probably run the intake mid range & the exhausts at, or close to, to max clearance.

On my present hexheads I use the RT-P valve setting clearance of a little larger exhaust gap as I run my bikes pretty darn hard & at high RPM's for extended runtimes.

duckbubbles

At 24,000 miles, all the exhausts were loose by one to two shim sizes. All he intakes were spot-on. I don't know for certain if if had ever been checked before I got it at 19K. I plan to check again at 35K mi.

I really like the shim system on this engine.

Frank

Thanks for all your replies! Sounds like the camhead engine doesn't need a valve clearance check every 6k. If the clearance is in the middle of the range after the initial check then it will stay there for quite a few miles.

I think I will skip the 6k valve clearance check and go to a 12k interval.

I also like the design of the camhead shim system as Frank mentioned above. Simple design and easy to work on.

The only thing that I am not certain about is the "semi sphere" shim itself. I'm sure it works great but not sure if the dealers have all sizes in stock when I finally do need some.

For my other bikes I have "Hot Cams" shim kits, which can be purchased everywhere.

I guess this isn't something I have to deal with for a while.

duckbubbles

I set my maintenance schedule on a 5000 mile interval. I do oil changes at 5K and more involved maintenance every 10K. I just need to take a look at the odometer to see when I'm next due. I am really curious to see where my clearances are at next check.

I have a good enough relationship with my dealer that I was able to "trade" my old shims for the sizes I needed- there were just two, since I was able to swap between valves on the other two. I knew the sizes I needed and carried a micrometer in to check for sure. There were no good markings on them.

Frank

Just finished the 72K service and still have bought only one intake shim and that back at 48K miles. The clearance range on my bike is mostly toward the loose end.

Bill

Just finished the 72K service and still have bought only one intake shim and that back at 48K miles. The clearance range on my bike is mostly toward the loose end.

Bill

Wow, that's great! From what I have seen on my bike it looks like the exhaust clearance is tightening up a little and the intake is getting a little loose.

Archived