IGNORED

Recent service call

RokRide

Ok I have a 05 1200rt with 7000 miles. Just went in for the 6K service.

I've noticed a problem with my front brakes, when applied I get a pulsating type action that I can feel. My original thoughts where warped rotor or worn brake pads.....

Well the dealer looked and said the pads were fine and they rotor was not warped. They cant say what it is... They seem to think it could be the front tire. It was a little cupped they said, and they think then when the weight is transferred to the front it could be causing the pulsating action I am feeling..........

Now the tire does have 7k on it but doesnt look to worn out and this pulsating only happens when the brakes are applied....

Do you think I should replace the tire??? If I do and the situation doesnt stop I feel as though I was swindled into a new tire not needed.......

Anyone have any opinions on how I should handle this?

I bought the bike in another surrounding state because the discounted it 1500 and I have been less than thrilled with my local dealer(who is servicing the bike).

I have no problems taking the bike back to the dealer I purchased it from, they will service it while I wait and give me a loaner for the day... I just went local because I have 7K and wanted to get it done soon.....

I think you are more likely to feel the pulsing if you are also using the back brake (foot brake)..I suspect you are using both brakes and I believe you will not have that occur if you will use the hand lever only..

Did your dealer actually use a dial indicator or some other precision measuring device to check the brake rotor for runout??

There have been some reports of defective (warped) brake rotors on the 1200RT.

Do a search here and see what you can find.

I had the same problem I felt a vibration when braking. I had my dealer check it and he said one of my rotors were warped. He ordered the part and changed it out but same problem. I took it back and he said he would change both rotors this time and other related parts including pads. Afterwards presto! No more vibration and all under warranty! Have your dealer call my dealer I think we can work this out!

I think you are more likely to feel the pulsing if you are also using the back brake (foot brake)..I suspect you are using both brakes and I believe you will not have that occur if you will use the hand lever only..

I ride the front bake mostly...

and its ussually either/or for me.... unless I need to stop quickly.....

This problem is being reported more and more, not only on new RT's but on GS's as well. Mine is so bad when braking on a downhill turn that it will shake the whole front end. The most common reason seems to be bad rotors, according to those who have had a succesful fix....It most assuredly is not tire related...

Is there any documentation i can find on this? I would like to show my dealer something.

They gave me the attitude that they "we looked at the rotors they were fine, Its not the rotors" Rather than me saying yes it is and them saying no it isnt. I would like to show them something....

I wish there was something to point the dealer toward, since I have yet to take mine in for a fix. Common sense would seem to rule out a tire problem... otherwise it would vibrate all the time, not just during braking. That leaves discs, pads, and ABS problems. I changed my pads first off... no effect... I've done a close eyeball exam and dial indicator check for run-out and wavy-ness and found nothing out of the ordinary, but according to other reports, dealers have replaced discs that seemed to be in tolerance and fixed the problem, so that seems to be the most logical approach. If it's an ABS problem, no one has yet reported that as a fix. I personally think that there is a problem with soft spots on the discs which causes a grip/release cycle that results in the vibration... As usual, BMW will never admit that there is a problem, inspite of evidence to the contray....

Why would that be?
Is there any documentation i can find on this? I would like to show my dealer something.

They gave me the attitude that they "we looked at the rotors they were fine, Its not the rotors" Rather than me saying yes it is and them saying no it isnt. I would like to show them something....

Don't do his troubleshooting for him! Tell him...."It pulsates! This is not normal! It's under warrantee. FIX IT!!"

Bob.

Why would that be?

I have no idea..Just seems like I've noticed a little of the same thing when using the foot brake..

this is what I tried to do but the guy I spoke with wasnt very talkative.... I plan to call tomorrow(service is closed mon) while they still have the bike complain about it...

What is the number you can call to complain about a delear if they choose to not resolve this issue? Is just the customer service for BMW of NA?

Most brake pulsations are caused by rotors that have irregular thickness, not warping. Uneven heat treating of the rotors will cause the soft sections to wear faster, causing the uneven thickness. There are service limits for both thickness and trueness.

Paul in CA

'05 R1200RT

'98 XR400R

Other vintage

Don't do his troubleshooting for him! Tell him...."It pulsates! This is not normal! It's under warrantee. FIX IT!!"

Bob.

That's fine but the dealer has already said it is the tyre and doesn't need to do anything else until the tyre is replaced.

That's fine but the dealer has already said it is the tyre and doesn't need to do anything else until the tyre is replaced.

All the dealer needs to do is remove the front wheel, put it on the balancing machine (assuming he has a balancer that spins the wheel) and ascertain that it is/isn't in balance. That covers wheel and tire imbalance. I'll bet money he finds no problem there...I have no idea who this dealer is, but he sounds as though he's not too interested in finding the problem up to this point...

I have no idea who this dealer is, but he sounds as though he's not too interested in finding the problem up to this point...
I agree, that's why I think the dealer won't do anything else until the tyre is replaced, he's made his diagnosis and will stick with it. BMW won't help deny it either.

I've been through all of this as well.

Vibration whilst braking, coming from the front end - particularly when brakes are warmed up.

My BMW dealer initially measured the front discs for "run out" and said they were OK. I rode away, had the same problem and I said to the dealer they are NOT OK and here -take the bike for a ride. The dealer said all right - you must have a problem, we will order new discs in for you.

Front discs were replaced and the brakes are fine now.

Your problem is the discs on the front - don't accept any other story from your BMW dealer.

Just called again..

They say the front tire is cupped and thats causing it... I asked if they replaced the tire and and it wasnt the issue I wouldnt be charges, right? haha is what I received...

I finally convinced the service manager to take the bike for spin... he was relying on the word of his technicians... we'll see what happens after the ride....

Its sad becasue I have bought 3 bikes from this dealership and after the 3rd I had it with there sales department.... I did still like the service department, after this though I am not sure if they will get anymore business from me....

This place is 15 minutes from me, but now I need to drive about an hour and 15 minutes to get good service....

I looked at the BMW service CD last night for the permissible runnout on front discs and it is 0.13mm or about 0.005" which is pretty damn flat. My discs measure about 0.008 to 0.010 on one side and about 0.015 on the other side.... 2 to 3 times allowable. Unless the dealer is willing to check the runnout with a dial gage, he doesn't stand a chance in hell of ascertaining whether the discs are good or bad....

I looked at the BMW service CD last night for the permissible runnout on front discs and it is 0.13mm or about 0.005" which is pretty damn flat. My discs measure about 0.008 to 0.010 on one side and about 0.015 on the other side.... 2 to 3 times allowable. Unless the dealer is willing to check the runnout with a dial gage, he doesn't stand a chance in hell of ascertaining whether the discs are good or bad....

Thanks

I will ask him if they did a check on the runout when they call back....

Talk with the General manager and explain your situation, see if he is willing to earn/keep your business. If not you have lost nothing. You can always go to the other dealer.

does this make sense?

The explanation was that because the tire was cupped, when I applied the front brakes the weight of the bike went to the front of the bike, so I asked them how come it doesnt happen when I hit the rear brakes? If I hit the rear brakes doesnt the weight still shift forward? I f hit the brakes and didnt hold on wouldnt I go over the handlebars? There response was no, hitting the rear brakes would not cause the same weight shift to the front of the bike.

Does that mkae sense? This was the explanation they gave this morning.. I told the guy to go take it for a ride and let me know. Still havent heard back.. I assume there busy or putting on new rotors....

does this make sense?

Does that mkae sense? This was the explanation they gave this morning.. I told the guy to go take it for a ride and let me know. Still havent heard back.. I assume there busy or putting on new rotors....

Makes no sense. Tires are either round or they're not. In balance or they're not. Although the Servo/ABS brakes on the RT are linked and the foot brake only applies the rear, there is still some forward load shift to the front.

Unless there is a constant vibration, shimmy, whatever you want to call it, the front tire/wheel is unlikely the cause of the vibration. INSIST that they switch a tire/wheel from another RT to prove or disprove their "theory".

My experience is based on over 40 years of driving and riding, many miles/laps on a race track in a variety of machinery under all kinds of conditions. Tire issues and brake issues are distinct and can be separated if there is a willingness to do so.

Be firm with them and "help" them to make it right. thumbsup.gif

Archived