IGNORED

Fuel Strip Failure

RTJohn

My baby has its first mechanical failure (other than light bulbs...they don't count). The fuel strip seems to have gone out. The BC shows 350 miles until I'm down to about 150 miles. Not a big deal but I need to get it fixed. Is this a DIY type job?

Afternoon John

Any idea on when your 2010RT was made?

BMW switched from a fuel strip to a float is around Aug. of 2010 (basically 2011 bike).

In any case, it might be a simple do-it-yourself, then again it might get complicated.

First thing to try is a good strong dose or Techron, if your bike has a fuel strip (probably does) sometimes a strong dose of Techron will clean it enough to start a working again.

If you end up needing a new fuel strip then it needs to be calibrated while plugged in to the bike but before being put in the fuel tank.

That will require a dealer computer or GS-911 with the latest software.

Some have reported that using a pizo sparking device (gas grill lighter) can make a defunct fuel strip function again but so far I haven't seen that work & last more than a tank or two of fuel.

DaveTheAffable
i didnt think the 2010's used a fuel strip... thought they were back to a float??

As Dirtrider says... depends on how late 2010.

I'm on my 3rd fuel strip.

All covered by warranty... but... :mad:

Some discussion on MOA forum indicates fuel strips are now considered a warranty replacement for 12 years.

That is, the newest one you get is improved and should last that long.

BMW issued a bulletin on June 6 extending the warranty on the fuel strip for many models for 12 years. I understand that BMW is reimbursing those who have paid for the repair in the past.

I've already scheduled the work for my 05 K12S.

Check with the service writer at a dealership.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to century BMW 2 times for a fuel strip change.Then went to west valley for the third one. so far, so good. They have to program something and I think the tech (rick) I believe, did a better Job.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my fuel strip replaced by Long Beach BMW. It was fairly painless and only took an hour or so. I've only filled it up a couple of times so far but it seems to be acting like its old self. Love that bike.

Archived