IGNORED

Battery Tender

pf1260

I just yesterday took delivery of a 2004 1150RT! The weather is miserable so I probably won't be able to ride it soon but it cranks slowly and it's probably because the battery is weak.

In researching, I found that I have a gel battery and the only charger I found is the Battery Tender made specifically for gel batteries. The manufacturer says that although I can use a non-gel Battery Tender, it won't give the battery it's full charge (it's goes the other way also: you can charge a non-gel battery with the gel Battery Tender but it won't receive it's full charge).

Here are my questions:

Is it true that one must use a gel-only battery charger on a gel battery?

Is there something else out there other than Battery Tender?

Lastly, there's an accessory available:

"BMW Motorcycle Battery Tender Adapter

Connects a Battery Tender Battery Charger (Plus, Jr., Water-proof or International models) to a BMW, Triumph or Ducati motorcycle equipped with factory DIN socket. Approx 6" long"

...I'm not sure if I have a factory DIN socket unless it's the accessory sockets that I believe are for plugging in heated clothing. I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm whether this is a factory DIN socket since it seems that it would easy to connect the Battery Tender here.

Sorry for the long message and thanks for any education that you can provide.

-Paul

Dingmans Ferry PA

There has been so much discussion on this subject that you should do a search on this board for the last 6 months or so.

Personally, I bought the BMW charger at $75. Was it worth it? My bike is 2 years old and I replaced the battery with an Odyssey 680. The charger will work on any battery and plugs into the BMW accessory socket.

Archived