IGNORED

Key/Ignition

strataj

I’ve got a question about the key and the ignition. If the key is left in the ignition (bike is off) does it pull power? When parked should the key be removed to avoid running the battery down?

Jay

Thanks Fastbikedroid. The reason I ask is after letting the bike sit for a week or more I put it on a tender it took a little while until it went into float mode.

Jay

I use a CTEK charger and have observed the same thing. Does take a while for it to proceed to the maintenance mode. My other bikes do not seem to do the same. I am guessing it is because the Canbus is still active for a time after shut down and I am usually plugging it in soon after putting the bike away.

Thanks Fastbikedroid. The reason I ask is after letting the bike sit for a week or more I put it on a tender it took a little while until it went into float mode.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Mine does the same thing using a BMW charger.

I always leave the key in the bike, "off" position.

'05 & '11 did the same thing, so don't think there's an issue.

I'm going to have to do some homework. I will test the battery without the charger, then test every couple of days for a week or more. Back to you latter on this

Jay

I'm going to have to do some homework. I will test the battery without the charger, then test every couple of days for a week or more. Back to you latter on this

Jay

I have now tested, for the past 6 days I’ve been reading the bikes voltage, it’s been holding stay at 12.87 for the past 4 days. Leaving the key in the ignition while parked has no drain on the battery.

Jay

I know it sounds funny but there is history. I don’t remember the year the sensor ring in the ignition pulled battery power once the key was inserted. Folks whom left key in the ignition ended up with dead batteries.

Jay

Archived