IGNORED

Novice questions on the RT

chrismckay

chrismckay

Hello Guys,

This is my first post here and I have some basic questions that I would like to ask about the RT and more specifically the 2014 RT.

Firstly, i am not the most experienced motorcyclist in the world so my questions may seem a bit obvious to you more experienced guys, so please be patient.

I presently ride a 2013 Honda VFR 800 and I realy love the bike, it is great for touring about Scotland on.

As my riding ambitions grow I am looking to cover Europe and further afield and I am looking for the best motorcycle to carry me and the wife on probably 4k mile trips.

Initialy I was drawn to the Triumph Trophy but after the launch of the 2014 RT I must admit that this motorcycle seems to be perfection from what I have read.

The first beginners question I would like to ask the Forum is what is the "behaviour of the boxer engine in comparison to my Honda engine, I hear a lot about "boxer character" but i have no idea what is meant by this. Is the engine loud?...is there significant engine braking when throttle is released.....the gear box? clunky perhaps?

any advise is greatly appreciated

Chris

Welcome to the fourm. :wave: I just returned from a six day twenty-five hundred mile ride on the new RT. One word....perfection! :thumbsup:

Best advice is to just try one. You'll know very quickly if it's the bike for you.

Pat

Welcome to the fourm. :wave: I just returned from a six day twenty-five hundred mile ride on the new RT. One word....perfection! :thumbsup:

Best advice is to just try one. You'll know very quickly if it's the bike for you.

Pat

And he's owned/owns a lot of bikes and is known for crossing state lines.

Welcome to the forum.

Hey Chris, welcome.

So, newbie to newbie I can give you my views on this subject as I've had a VF700, VFR750 (best bike ever) and a VFR800. The last one was a 2006 and I really didn't like it much compared to my 750. The 2014 VFR800 should be on the show room floor soon, and from what I'm reading it looks really, really nice.

I sat on the sidelines for a long time waiting for the perfect sport tourer to come along. I'm small (5'8" 30" inseam) so had a Hayabusa for a while which fit me like a glove but, well, it was a Hayabusa. I didn't want another inline 4, none of the V-twins seemed right (most were too tall) so I decided to try something very different for me - the RT. When I knew the '14's would have the new/improved drive-train that the '13 GS's had, I put a deposit in. It met the following criteria:

Lots of storage

Shaft drive

Not an inline four

Comfort and full featured

Though I sorely miss my VFR750, I'm getting used to the size of the RT (it is very big in comparison - maybe huge. Not in terms of raw weight, just size). You won't notice that once you are rolling though. I do have trouble at walking speeds, but I'd like to think I'm getting through it. I can't imagine a more comfortable bike. It might not get around a corner quite as quickly as a VFR but it does very, very well.

Like Pat says, if you can: ride one. I never imagined myself on a bike as upright as this. Getting on a sport bike now feels downright weird! Not sure what it would feel like to get on a new VFR but I love them...might check the new one out just for fun when available.

So those are my "quick" impressions as I only have 2k on Jugs (a/k/a/ Too Tall). Hope this helps!

Dan

Boxer character is a nice way to say quirky.

The newer they are, the better they get.

"character"

Torque reaction when blipping the throttle at idle.

Semi lumpy idle. It's a twin.

When letting off the throttle, it's like throwing out the anchor. Abrupt engine braking let's call it. It was explained to me as the FI mapping has no or little overrun circuit saving fuel and emissions.

These three things are about as bad as it gets.

Please don't compare to your V4. I've had VF750F, VF1000F and a V4 is about as smooth as it gets.

It's apples and oranges.

The Trophy in my eye is the closest copy of an RT yet. It's about 7/8 the size for smaller riders. BUT do cost compare what it costs to maintain the RT and the Trophy for 12k miles. The RT will be less.

I worked at a dealership that sold both BMW and Tri and got to try them both back to back and present them to customers. In fairness, I always had them stop by service to get a cost comparison for long term ownership. Then, you don't have to hide in your office from anyone.

One thing though, if you can do an hour or more test ride on the open road on the RT, that big girl will sweet talk her way into your heart.

BitScribbler

Boxer "character" - coming from a V4, your first reaction will likely be: bl**dy hell, this is awful!

Persevere. After an hour or so you may get a gentle grin developing as the engine snuffles and grunts along. It's a competely different world. After a week, you'll be endeared, after a month, you'll be ensnared in BMW's evil trap and unable to leave.

Oh, and the RT is the best thought-out tourer you will ever come across. It's ideal anywhere in Europe.

Hey Chris - I owned an FJR (big, smooth, soul-less) for a couple of years before switching to a ST3S (small, character, sound) for almost six years. As others have stated, I wanted my new bike to have bells/whistles, shaft drive, cruise control, and storage. Well, the RT is perfect. This new RT (although not smooth by 4-cyl standards) is the smoothest boxer I have ever ridden. Try it, you will not be disappointed.

chrismckay

Thanks for all the sound advice guys... appreciated :)

I'm going to book a test ride for a morning and get a feel for the RT keeping in mind what you guys have mentioned above.

The boxer engine sounds like it is a grower in terms of endearment, and the storage looks ideal and the overall look is very very nice......

Looking forward to the test ride!

As a current VFR owner (2005) who does some fairly long-distance tour riding and someone who has ridden both the GS and RT (2007 and 2012 respectively) I can tell you there are many things you'll love about the boxer.

When I first rode my buddies RT, I was reminded of grandpa's old tractor...bumbling along with a sound unfamiliar to any moto experience I'd had in the past. I found it surprisingly nimble and the wind protection was a slice of heaven, as was the seating position to my 40+ year-old back. I realized how quickly I'd become acclimated to the RT vs how much trouble my friend (a MUCH better rider than I) was having on my VFR. VFR fueling sucks compared to the BWM (my 2005 anyway). The torque is positively intoxicating, which also contributes to the RT's deceptive quickness. The VFR800 is quite fast in it's own right, but you're much more aware that you're getting after it, due to how pissed off it gets when VTEC comes on to make that power. The RT just pulls and pulls, no need to be as busy on the shift lever as you're used to on the V4.

I've also ridden another friends FJR1300. The previous poster's description of "soul-less" isn't completely fair in my humble opinion, but not totally unfair either. That bike pulls like a freakin' freight train. I loved the motor. But, it also handles like freakin' freight train. It just felt like it was stuck in tracks. I've never had to manhandle a bike as much as I did the FJR. It's also just WAY too thick in the middle for my short inseam, and quite top-heavy. It feels like you're sitting ON it rather than IN it, if that makes any sense.

In short, I have a loaded '14 Callisto Grey RT on the way with a side order of zero regrets.

Hello Guys,

This is my first post here and I have some basic questions that I would like to ask about the RT and more specifically the 2014 RT.

Firstly, i am not the most experienced motorcyclist in the world so my questions may seem a bit obvious to you more experienced guys, so please be patient.

I presently ride a 2013 Honda VFR 800 and I realy love the bike, it is great for touring about Scotland on.

As my riding ambitions grow I am looking to cover Europe and further afield and I am looking for the best motorcycle to carry me and the wife on probably 4k mile trips.

Initialy I was drawn to the Triumph Trophy but after the launch of the 2014 RT I must admit that this motorcycle seems to be perfection from what I have read.

The first beginners question I would like to ask the Forum is what is the "behaviour of the boxer engine in comparison to my Honda engine, I hear a lot about "boxer character" but i have no idea what is meant by this. Is the engine loud?...is there significant engine braking when throttle is released.....the gear box? clunky perhaps?

any advise is greatly appreciated

Chris

Chris,

Bare in mind that as I write this I have been riding approx 5 years and I am only just classed as being in my 30's! - views may be different to other people here!

I test rode the Triumph before the new RT came out and really enjoyed the ride! I found the engine great for me the seat, screen and pegs and bars were very comfortable (3hr test ride)

on the down side I hated the control layout that Triumph have come up with, who wants to remove their hands completely when tuning the radio or moving the screen up and down? and what's with having cruise control on the throttle grip where the movement between putting it on and moving back to the grip trips the cruise off!

biggest gripe for me though was the forks. (Just to point out my daily ride at this point was a R1100RT!) I hated the front end! it must be getting used to the telelever, but I hated the amount of fork dive the bike had, may of been to do with the set-up but even my R1100RT was more comfortable in heavy breaking!

After this ride (October) I had a bit of a wait till I had the opportunity to ride the 14RT, however it was worth it! the 14RT in my opinion is night and day with the Trimuph. The chassis, engine, comfort and controls are all superior (In my limited view) and hence I now own a 14RT. The only plus with the Triumph is that I would say the Triumph screen is better designed.

Before I rode the 1100RT I had a 600 Bandit with fairing as my daily ride, the things I noticed immediately when swapping over were,

Torque reaction of the engine - first couple of tight left/right U turns caught me by surprise when blipping the throttle and the bike moving slightly to the right. I noticed for two or three times and then I have not noticed it since (not sure if the new bike even does this)

quietness at speed - after commuting up and down the A303 on the bandit, the ability to make progress without the wind blast was sublime

Weight of the bike at a stop - was difficult to deal with to start with when building my confidence, however I have noticed that with the 14RT I have very little issue compared to my 1100RT.

In terms of noise on the 14RT it is louder than the previous, however I do not find it an issue, well its not as bad as when the exhaust fell off my Bandit mid Dual Carriageway!

I hope this helps.

Simon.

The BIGGEST advantage of the RT over the Triumph is the handling at low speed. The RT is a superb handling bike for its size.

I also own an Explorer, and the other comments on the cruise control are spot on. The Triumph engineers must have been smoking something strange when they designed the switch layout!

:-)

Hi Chris,

I am also a huge vfr fan having owned all of them but the vtec. I still have my 1996MY 750 and my y/1 series pre vtec 2000 model. I recently sold a 1200 vfr to replace with the 14MY RT. Having owned a number of BMW s incl a 5 year stint with an early 1200gs, but not an RT before. I was waiting for a Pan replacement, then the Trophy came, I tested it and found it a wee bit too heavy and too 2005 RT looking - why on earth would you set out to copy that is beyond me- otherwise the Trophy is a lovely bike but not for me given it's almost similar pricing to the RT. And the bl**dy Honda has seemingly forgotten about the new Pan. Or they think they can flog the 2002 model with no improvements since 2007 for the same money as the Trophy... I couldn't wait.

Anyway, VFRs are one of a kind bikes and the RT won't replace them in your heart. The one off sunny day in Britain that you want to go out solo for 120 mile 3 hr spin.... The rt however will do anything and everything else. At more comfort. And a lot faster once you factor in the mrs and the "got to be in Grenoble by nightfall having left the Uk at lunchtime" factor, the 300 mile range etc. Anyway I was always skeptical of huge tourers ( I guess having owned the worst/least dynamic ever in the face of a K1200gt brick engine) , but the RTs were always deemed to be the lighter most accomplished dynamically and the 2014 MY certainly proves this, although as I said I am an RT virgin myself. Very early days but as it even commutes well - in fact so far for me its biggest wow factor is its low speed maneuverability unbelievably- I can see this bike taking centre stage in my life replacing everything else for a while. Which is a huge compliment coming from me as I m neither a boxer lover nor a Touring bike fan at heart.

Lastly, this being entirely relative and subjective, I think the new RT is also in a very small club of beautiful touring machines too.

If 4k mile European trips with the wife is your main agenda, you have got to try one.

chrismckay
Hi Chris,

I am also a huge vfr fan having owned all of them but the vtec. I still have my 1996MY 750 and my y/1 series pre vtec 2000 model. I recently sold a 1200 vfr to replace with the 14MY RT. Having owned a number of BMW s incl a 5 year stint with an early 1200gs, but not an RT before. I was waiting for a Pan replacement, then the Trophy came, I tested it and found it a wee bit too heavy and too 2005 RT looking - why on earth would you set out to copy that is beyond me- otherwise the Trophy is a lovely bike but not for me given it's almost similar pricing to the RT. And the bl**dy Honda has seemingly forgotten about the new Pan. Or they think they can flog the 2002 model with no improvements since 2007 for the same money as the Trophy... I couldn't wait.

Anyway, VFRs are one of a kind bikes and the RT won't replace them in your heart. The one off sunny day in Britain that you want to go out solo for 120 mile 3 hr spin.... The rt however will do anything and everything else. At more comfort. And a lot faster once you factor in the mrs and the "got to be in Grenoble by nightfall having left the Uk at lunchtime" factor, the 300 mile range etc. Anyway I was always skeptical of huge tourers ( I guess having owned the worst/least dynamic ever in the face of a K1200gt brick engine) , but the RTs were always deemed to be the lighter most accomplished dynamically and the 2014 MY certainly proves this, although as I said I am an RT virgin myself. Very early days but as it even commutes well - in fact so far for me its biggest wow factor is its low speed maneuverability unbelievably- I can see this bike taking centre stage in my life replacing everything else for a while. Which is a huge compliment coming from me as I m neither a boxer lover nor a Touring bike fan at heart.

Lastly, this being entirely relative and subjective, I think the new RT is also in a very small club of beautiful touring machines too.

If 4k mile European trips with the wife is your main agenda, you have got to try one.

Brilliant reply, thanks!

The "BMW character" of which you've heard, is related to the boxer twins. It is said, by those who know the words but not the feeling, that they vibrate. They do not. It is not a vibration. It is a cadence. It is even and smooth, rhythmic and capturing. You can feel it in the handlebars and footpegs if you really try. Otherwise, you will soon learn that you feel it in your soul. It is warming, endearing, the muted heartbeat of a loved one with whom you're involved in intimate travel.

Ride one, and not just around the block. Take it out for a couple of hours. It will not be your VFR. It will be a BMW Boxer, and it will either touch you deeply (most likely), or it won't. And then you'll know.

EffBee - totally agree. It sounds like romantic nonsense but it is really true for me and thousands of others.

The "BMW character"...It is a cadence. It is even and smooth, rhythmic and capturing. You can feel it in the handlebars and footpegs if you really try. Otherwise, you will soon learn that you feel it in your soul. It is warming, endearing, the muted heartbeat of a loved one with whom you're involved in intimate travel.

Pure poetry.

The "BMW character" of which you've heard, is related to the boxer twins. It is said, by those who know the words but not the feeling, that they vibrate. They do not. It is not a vibration. It is a cadence. It is even and smooth, rhythmic and capturing. You can feel it in the handlebars and footpegs if you really try. Otherwise, you will soon learn that you feel it in your soul. It is warming, endearing, the muted heartbeat of a loved one with whom you're involved in intimate travel.

Ride one, and not just around the block. Take it out for a couple of hours. It will not be your VFR. It will be a BMW Boxer, and it will either touch you deeply (most likely), or it won't. And then you'll know.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives". (Hedley Lamarr) :D

The "BMW character"...It is a cadence. It is even and smooth, rhythmic and capturing. You can feel it in the handlebars and footpegs if you really try. Otherwise, you will soon learn that you feel it in your soul. It is warming, endearing, the muted heartbeat of a loved one with whom you're involved in intimate travel.

Pure poetry.

Thank you for the kindness. The body gets old. Hair disappears ("it was there yesterday!), joints creak, sounds mute and eyes blur. But the writer never gives up honing his craft.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives". (Hedley Lamarr) :D

Now THAT was poetry. Wouldn't you have loved to have been in the room with Brooks, Ceasar, Reiner and the rest when they were writing that movie? I would have suffered from premature incontinence.

Archived