IGNORED

Low beam failure on 2014 RTw (it's worse than before)

ADulay

All,

Well, the history of bulb failures on the R1200RT continues.

I have never liked the process for changing out the bulbs on my 2006 RT, but I did get it down to about 5 minutes a bulb once I figure out what tools to use to hold bulbs and things to keep the damage down.

Looking back, those were the good old days! Yes, the 2006 RT had two low beams and one high beam. If you burned out a bulb at night, you still had the second one to come home on and drive on for awhile until you could replace the burned out bulb.

Fast forward to 2014 and a new R1200 RTw and sure enough, on the way back from Texas, the low beam burns out at sundown. A quick look at the book and at the bike shows that replacing the bulb is going to be a much bigger project than on the old bike.

What engineer at BMW decided that having ONE low beam and TWO high beams was a good idea? Let me tell you that you make a whole lot of enemies on the interstate driving with those high beams on.

So, who has had to change that single low beam so far and how did you do it? I can see the cover. I can even open it. Of course it looks like removing the horn might give me a little bit more room to get my hand up in there and feel my way around, hopefully not breaking the incredibly fragile PLASTIC connector for the low beam.

Any good ideas to make this as painless as possible?

Most of my bulb replacements have been done in the parking lot of a motel on the 2006. This one I had to ride home and it was not fun.

AD

I’m going to assume you have about 6000 miles on the bike since you did an oil change about the same time as your bulb failure. I hope this was just a fluke. Sorry about your difficult ride, I try not to ride at night for many reasons, this isn’t the top of the list but close.

I guess we are all going to have to carry an extra bulb with us or you can stop about anywhere for an H7. When replacing bulbs I wear nitrile gloves (carried for repairs) this way I don’t worry about touching the bulb. The replacement looks very similar to my 02R1150RT.

Glad you made it home safe

Jay

Yes, the bulb went at about 6600 miles.

I have not replaced it yet as I just can't decide on what would be the "easiest" (and I use that term loosely) as my hand is not going to fit in there coming in from the top.

I get the gut feeling that this is going to be a "replacement by feel" type of thing and that usually means the plastic electrical connector will break on the second attempt.

Luckily I've done it that way a time or two (on the other bike) so knowing what to "feel for" shouldn't be a problem. Getting a hand up in there is where the problem will be. It's looking like the horn will have to come off temporarily to get some space to work with.

For those of you with a new RTw, take a good look at where that panel is and how to access it.

I have not done this yet and will be headed to the dealer on Friday or Saturday to get it done, hopefuly under warranty as I still have a few electrical glitches with the bike that haven't been solved yet.

My old methods on the 2006RT won't work with this one, so I'll be all eyes and ears when I watch my local guy go through the learning curve all over again.

AD

I think I try it from below. Use a bright light, it would be helpful if someone held a flashlight. Access to the bulb seems too high to come at it from the top plus you don’t have much room especially if you have meat hooks for hands. From the top I don’t think you can see enough to insure bulb placement. First try it without removing the horn I think it can be done (why add more work and possibly break something). I’m sure you'll let all know how it goes.

Good luck

Jay

Caractacus

I changed my low beam on my 2014 RT. Sorry no pictures. I changed it going up underneath the front to do it. I also loosened the horn, that made it easier. The cap that covers the low beam is basically a 1/4 turn cap that pops off pretty easy. With the cap off you know have access to disconnect the wires (plug). From there you have the typical spring wire that you have to push down (towards the bulb) then bias them slightly towards the side (one to the left & the other to the right) to to pop them loose. It will then hinge up out of the way. From there you can get the bulb out. Very tight quarters so be patient. I used a mirror and a flash light to see what I was getting into and then had to do the job while picturing what I saw in my head - you have to "feel" what your doing. Turning the forks one way or the other might help depending on how you have to contort to get at it.

Putting the new bulb in..... make sure that the spring wire is up out of the way since it can rotate down pretty easy. The bulb does have a particular rotation it needs to be in to fit properly so make sure to get that right as well. You can see if the bulb is properly set through the front of the lens. Hook the spring wire and plug in the wires, re install the cap, tighten the horn and your good for another 6600 miles.

I am so disappointed to see this thread. Last time i was at the dealer the salesman specifically told me the 2014's had HID. Lie, lie lie. WTF were they thinking putting that same sh¡t in there?

So...never owned the 1200 before the 2014. My 1150 never had a bulb failure in the 9 years I owned it. What should I carry for a spare bulb for the 2014? Auto supply available or dealer part?

Halogen standard, LED optional.

Get the option and you may never "burn out a bulb."

Halogens are 2 H1 and one H7, which is surely noted in owners manual.

There is no LED option on the 2014 "RT" (you might be thinking of the GS).

There is a LED "Auxiliary light option, which mounts low on the engine and requires an additional switch.

This auxiliary light is not part of any of the package options, but in addition, which you pay extra for.

It is also "Dealer" fitted and not part of a factory install.

There is a LED "Auxiliary light option, which mounts low on the engine and requires an additional switch.

This auxiliary light is not part of any of the package options, but in addition, which you pay extra for.

Skywagon is a very lucky man “My 1150 never had a bulb failure in the 9 years I owned it” . While attending the IBMWR rally in Branson, MO this past April I was called on to replace a friends bulb in his 04R1150RT, they fail often enough he carries one with him (145,000 miles). I’ve had similar luck to Skywagon with my 02R1150RT just one or two replacements (77,000 miles).

I hope the bulb life is better than 6600 miles, it may have just been a bad run of bulbs.

I agree with Alford 100% except I did my own installation (sure the dealer wasn’t happy) of the LED Auxiliary lights. Like Alford said I did need the dealer, they must be activated by the BMW computer. I have to say I really like them, now if I only had all the parts I need. I’ve been waiting on a clamp (it replaces the clutch reservoir clamp) the switch attaches to it. My switch is being held on by a cable tie. I have a good relationship with the tech, he tells me the dealership hasn’t installed them yet. It’s an easy installation once you know what you need to do, that part wasn’t easy but I was able to figure it out. Nice to know I have some lighting should my headlight go out.

I’m sure you will ask for pictures, I don’t have an account to post to but if you look here you’ll see them on the BMW MOA site http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?72937-Under-mirror-aux-light-mounts-for-the-RTW Sorry I don’t have step by step photo’s, this was a learn on the fly deal no stopping for photos.

Jay

Yeah, looks like I confused the angel eyes option

I changed my low beam on my 2014 RT. Sorry no pictures.

How many miles/months on the bike?

AD

Caractacus

I changed the bulb because I wanted better lighting. I went with the Sylvania ZXE bulb which is a whiter light. It was an improvement over the stock bulb.

Hi guys

I had a quick look on mine and it looks like that the easiest way to get to those bulbs might be by taking out the Speakers.

Each speaker just has two screws to remove. That should give you a lot more clearance from the top to work on them.

Archived