IGNORED

Final Drive Oil and Transmission Oil Proper Level

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

Sanity check before I go on 1500-2000 mile ride. I finished my oil change. It was easy, followed directions. HOWEVER. I read a lot (too much) and saw a few videos giving me somewhat conflicting information.

FINAL DRIVE - It calls for 230ml. The bottle is 948 ml with marks are 900ml, 800ml, 700ml.... I filled to where the bottle level was a tad above 700ml, giving the 230 ml. There is a machined step below the treads in the fill plug port; the oil touches that step. I read several places to "BOTTOM OF THREADS". Well the machined step inside the fill port is below the threads. The true bottom of the plug threads is higher than that step (which I assume is a notch for oil level).

TRANSMISSION - It calls for 800ml. I filled to were the 938ml bottle read just above 100ml, giving about 800ml, may be a tad more. I saw a video where they said oil would be just level with the fill hole and seeps out. My level, I can see oil however, but it is below the threads a bit.

I did not have a graduated measuring cup (which I'll have next time), but the bottle should be close.... assuming they filled bottle to 948 ml and marks are reasonably accurate. I am assuming +/- 20ml or so is no big deal, and more is not necessary better.... Too much oil can cause loss of HP to rear wheel and foaming. A little less oil is not an issue big issue.

The best advice I can give you is that you are good to go. The precise levels are just not that critical so just relax and ride.

Stan Walker

The best advice I can give you is that you are good to go. The precise levels are just not that critical so just relax and ride.

+1. It's not critical at all.

For future reference the accepted values are:

Final drive: Fill until oil just touches bottom of fill hole downward projection.

Transmission: Fill until oil is level with the bottom of the threads (just starts to ooze out the fill hole).

Stan

• 2 weeks later...
gmcjetpilot

Thanks Gent's - had a great ride 1500 miles all over the great Smokey Mts, in and around Nantahala national forest, blue ridge parkway...

TRANS- NEXT TIME

Get a measuring cup and fill to 800ml. Bottom of threads seems

high from what I saw the level with 800ml. I'll experiment and

see how much extra takes to get to bottom of threads next time.

If not much extra, I'll allow it. However if it is taking a full

liter to get to threads, I'll go back to measured amount.

FINAL DRIVE - NEXT TIME

238ml and double check it is to bottom of machined step (below threads).

I don't think overfilling a little is a big deal within in

reason. However more does not protect more, only causes more

drag, possible foaming and possible I hear seals blowing out in

FD or oil coming out of breather.

I can't see what the problem is. You drain the oil, fit the drain plug and fill until it is leve, with the bottom of the fill hole. Any excess escapes. Pop the fill cap on. Job done.

Word of advice… do not fill either the Transmission or the Final drive above the fill holes… and you will be fine.

Archived