IGNORED

Top End on ST?

Slumgullion

A buck-20, is that all? Joel, I can do that on my GS while I'm standing on the seat. The ST has got to be faster than that.

gear limited to 144 ish. someone on a red ST took his bike out to the salt flats/desert. That's the actual speed through a timed section not the speed on the speedometer.

I just did a search. Deans BMW was the poster. He hit the rev limiter in 6th at 144.4 MPH.

I've seen 135 on the speedo but I don't know how accurate that is. It definately gets up there faster when I don't have the sidecases mounted.

I love how 6th is a real gear not just some uber tall economy gear.

How does that compare with the 1200RT top end?

BMW advertises the top end on the 1200RT at 142mph on one of their web sites. Mine has seen 125 with LOTS of power and acceleration left. I'm just too chicken to top the thing out.

The top end on at least my ST was limited by the rev limiter, tire diameter and traction on the salt. My rear tire was worn down by the time I got to Bonneville. My speedo was showing 153 thru the traps. We figure that with a new tire we could hit appx 147-148 and with stuffing the largest dia tire that would fit we could perhaps hit 150 at Bonneville, keep in mind that there is considerable rear wheel slip at higher speeds on the salt. I have hit the revlimiter many times in 6th on dry pavement (no rear wheel slippage) with a new tire indicating appx 155. The ST clearly has the power to hit a higher speed than the stock gearing allows. Something that you may want to consider is that My ST has a full Remus exhaust, head pipes and can.

The elevation of the salt flats is just under 5,000 ft.

The true top end of the R1200RT is appx 135 due to its higher wind resistance.

I've hit an indicated 140. Ran out of road (I leave myself a huge margin to slow down). Still pulling although not real hard. I've easily hit 130 on short bursts rather quickly.

Very comfortable bike to go that fast on. Just relax your arms and tuck in. thumbsup.gif

Has anyone noticed a calibration problem with the speedo on their ST? Mine appears to overindicate approximately 10 km/hr (6 mph), based on both my GPS and roadside speed monitors.

According to Motorcycle Consumer News, the R1200ST will run an actual top speed of 146 mph. An indicated speed of 65mph is an actual 62.5---pretty good compared to other brands. thumbsup.gif Love my ST and regularly visit three digit speeds, but haven't yet had the opportunity to top it out.

Has anyone noticed a calibration problem with the speedo on their ST? Mine appears to overindicate approximately 10 km/hr (6 mph), based on both my GPS and roadside speed monitors.

At what speed did you see this error?

I've seen an indicated 147, on some very familiar roads. I was trying to hang with the 3 GSXR1k's on a Tampa Crashers group ride. They lost me in the straights, but I occasionaly showed them a front wheel in the turns cool.gif. (I brought the wrong horsepower that day, should have had the RSV-R). In the twisty stuff, the ST does quite well, as the younger rider on the R6 found out wink.gif

At about 5000' in Nevada I hit a needles width over 135

whilst passing a Semi w/trailer. I was in 6th and it seemed as though there was some left. Great machine!

(I think the blue/silver ones are faster)

Ride safe

According to the GPS, the speedo error on my ST occurs at all speeds. At lower speeds (say, 30 mph), the speedo appears to over-indicate about 5 mph. At higher speeds (70 mph), the error appears to be about 10 mph.

I haven't but then.. I dont.. really pay much... attention to

what it says

grin.gif

yesterday after getting my garmin 2720 mounted (with the help of my friends) I noticed that the speedo was 2 mph faster than the GPS @ speeds between 60 to 80.

If top end was was really important to me I'd be riding a Hyabusa or ZX-12/14. Mine gets to 130 without much fuss at all. More importantly , pulled the front wheel up a bit in 1st the other day under hard acceleration. smile.gif

Looking forward to see what some more miles on the engine brings as I'm only at 1,300 miles so far.

my coconuts only went to 120. I avoid doing much of that as I dont need to go that fast, and as I was doing it I think "How far will I slide at a buck 20. Probably into eternity"

So far I've put 2100 miles on her Since November. smile.gif

A buck-20, is that all? Joel, I can do that on my GS while I'm standing on the seat. The ST has got to be faster than that.

That's what I was going to say. I've gone 110 on my 12GS and there was lots left. I'd think the 12ST could rush on past 120 without breaking a sweat.

Hey back off! I never said it wouldn't do more I just wanted to know what others has done.. What I didn't say it was on the connector thru downtown Atlanta!!!!

"If top end was was really important to me I'd be riding a Hyabusa or ZX-12/14. Mine gets to 130 without much fuss at all. More importantly , pulled the front wheel up a bit in 1st the other day under hard acceleration.

I totally agree, the St not only gets to 130 sok easily--when it is there it is so stable and planted, and the feedback from this machine is sublime. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the quality of ride of the St is hard to explain with words.

You must experience it and have only 10000 miles since April since all I've been able to do is primarily commute back and forth to work on it. Can't wait for the summer though.

Hey back off! I never said it wouldn't do more I just wanted to know what others has done.. What I didn't say it was on the connector thru downtown Atlanta!!!!

Oh... That explains it! grin.gif

Explains what. That Joel is crazy. Or is the "connector through Atlanta" kind of like Hiway 50 in Nevada. Never rode in Atlanta.

Explains what. That Joel is crazy. Or is the "connector through Atlanta" kind of like Hiway 50 in Nevada. Never rode in Atlanta.

Hmmmm... How best to explain...

i-rony n., pl. -ies. 1.a. The use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning. b.An expression or utterance marked by such a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

wink.gif

Hmmmm... How best to explain...

i-rony n., pl. -ies. 1.a. The use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning. b.An expression or utterance marked by such a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

wink.gif

Hmmm... I guess, I'm a little slow.

Archived