IGNORED

iPhone 5 adapter cable on RTLC?

Hypeman

Do you really need the adapter cable that BMW sells for $80 or whatever?

Do they even offer one for iPhone 5/5s?

Or can you just use your USB and a male-male audio jack?

Failing those options, anyone had luck with the aftermarket ones you see on eBay?

I have tried multiple adapters, but the one you linked to might just work.

I have the BMW adapter and trying to change the old connector to the lightning connector via an adapter was a fail.

It has been reported that if you choose the original Apple adapter, this would work. That cable is not cheap.!

As I had an old iPhone3GS laying around, I have chosen to use it as an iPod.

The 3GS works perfect and instant via BMW's original adapter on the 2014RTLC.

My iPhone5 is hooked up via Bluetooth to the Nav5, so at this stage, all I am loosing is the charging capability to the iPhone5.

Anyway, do let us know if that cable works. If it does, I might just order one myself.

Jaqen H'ghar

Or can you just use your USB and a male-male audio jack?

For my iPhone 5s, I had to have a usb to lightning on 1 side and a male/male audio 3.5 on the other, that does the same thing for about $30, that gets me Pandora playing through my speakers but it does not sound nearly as good as the Serious playing through the speakers, next week when I take it in for the 600 service I'll bring that issue up with my service tech, he's the one who said this way would work, yes it does work but it sounds like shit, I do have to say that my audio 3.5 jack cost me $7.00 so it may be that thats the problem I'll find out then, in fact, I'm going to have them plug in their fancy $85 cable and see if that makes the sound as good as it is with Serious Sat. Jaqen

Thumb drove is what I am using at the moment, however it is a pain having to convert my digital media collection to MP3 just for the bike.

I want to use my phone as it already has all my music on and is the hub of my life on the road, it's a pain having to load and convert music to the thumb drive.

Really hoping this adaptor will work!

... in fact, I'm going to have them plug in their fancy $85 cable and see if that makes the sound as good as it is with Serious Sat. Jaqen

Can't wait to hear (pun intended) the result of that test. :clap:

Norm LeFevre

Really simple question for the group - and I am not where I can get at the bike or look in the manual.. Will the USB connector by the dash act as a charger for my iPhone?

I'd like to use the weather feature on the GPS and it needs to be paired and active. Clearly, on a long trip, the battery on the phone would die.

BTW, anyone going to the BMWRA rally in Birmingham this weekend?

Jaqen H'ghar

yes, the usb connector does charge your phone while bike is running but usb is not hot when key is off. My iPhone was almost dead last Sunday when I went for a ride, by the time I checked it 30 min. or so later it was almost fully charged, very handy and convenient, one less thing to worry about. Jaqen

Hypeman,

I have ordered this ebay special, (I'm in the UK) ill write up a report once I've tried it out!,

Ebay IPhone adaptor

Unfortunately this eBay special didn't do the trick! I see a bmw adaptor on the shopping list shortly!

• 2 weeks later...
My appt. is for next Sat. 5/31, check back late Saturday for update. Jaqen

Jaqen, how did the cable test go?

Really simple question for the group - and I am not where I can get at the bike or look in the manual.. Will the USB connector by the dash act as a charger for my iPhone?

I'd like to use the weather feature on the GPS and it needs to be paired and active. Clearly, on a long trip, the battery on the phone would die.

BTW, anyone going to the BMWRA rally in Birmingham this weekend?

Yes, an iPhone 5 will charge if connected to the USB

Archived