IGNORED

Extra Mirrors?

the41tao

Anyone have a foolproof method to get some supplemental GS type mirrors on the 2014 RT? Thanks in advance.

I'm the one asking the question here Einstein.

You don't answer a question with a question. (Only my wife has that privilege.)

You got a answer- great.

I thank you.

WTF!

I'm not interested in debating about anything with anyone, OK?

I asked a simple question.

The fact that I want to see better behind me is pretty [censored]ing obvious.

I'm the one asking the question here Einstein.

You don't answer a question with a question. (Only my wife has that privilege.)

You got a answer- great.

I thank you.

WTF!

I'm not interested in debating about anything with anyone, OK?

I asked a simple question.

The fact that I want to see better behind me is pretty [censored]ing obvious.

NOW NOW boys play nice in the sand box. Seems BWR is a happy camper and wants to learn... Here the option you are looking for http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RTLC/3272971.html

Jay

How do you suppose these wunderlich mirrors install? Doesn't appear, to me, to be any room on the 'bars' to squeeze them in...

The adapters simply replace the clamping portion of the brake/clutch lever mounts. No additional space needed.

console.jpg3272971.jpg

Larry: Got it - thanks!

Norm: I was wondering why on their site they mentioned if you only wanted to use one mirror.... :)

Dan

• 5 months later...

I wanted to use those mounts and gs mirrors. The mirrors will not work with the RT windshield. I have some others using a ram mount but I haven't had time to try them yet.

I found the BMW mirrors that work well and look fairly compatible with the basic design cues of the RT, are from the R1200R.

These are all black, have a simple round mirror, and a black soft plastic "sleeve" that hides the nuts and bolt that screw into the Wunderlich conversion element.

Overall they still look a little foreign on the bike -- at least to my eye -- but I will ride with them for a while before deciding if the somewhat compromised appearance is an acceptable trade-off for the much improved blind spot visibility.

Weston

I wanted to use those mounts and gs mirrors. The mirrors will not work with the RT windshield. I have some others using a ram mount but I haven't had time to try them yet.

Excuse me for repeating myself with the picture, but I like my set-up a lot, and it won't be anywhere near the windshield:

56657d1400595793-new-rtw-dsc_1311.jpg

The Napolean bar end mirrors can be swung inward for parking and have a detent that holds them in place when riding. I used them on my 06RT and they helped a lot. The 14RT seems to have better mirrors and I am reluctant to add another set as it detracts from the looks. Maybe I'm too vain? ;)

Pad,

Just returned from a day of riding with the R1200R mirrors and I have to say they made a big difference in confidence overall, but especially when changing lanes.

I set them up as my primary mirrors with the RT mirrors as blind spot detectors which actually works very well.

Your setup is visually appealing -- more so I think than what I've set up, but for the time being at least, I'm contenting myself with the realization that I don't see me the way others do when I'm riding!

Time will tell if I succumb to your approach or just adapt to mine. Either way, I think the safety improvement is truly beneficial.

Weston

Pad,

Just returned from a day of riding with the R1200R mirrors and I have to say they made a big difference in confidence overall, but especially when changing lanes.

I set them up as my primary mirrors with the RT mirrors as blind spot detectors which actually works very well.

Your setup is visually appealing -- more so I think than what I've set up, but for the time being at least, I'm contenting myself with the realization that I don't see me the way others do when I'm riding!

Time will tell if I succumb to your approach or just adapt to mine. Either way, I think the safety improvement is truly beneficial.

Weston

Pictures would be nice

Fitting extra rear-view mirrors to 2014> BMW R1200RT

If you want to fit extra mirrors (possibly from your previous RT which gave an excellent view of your hands), then this is the ideal way to do it.

OVERVIEW

GS style mirrors bolt to the clamps that secure the brake/clutch levers

THE PROCESS

The RT has a clamp on each side of the handlebars that secure the clutch and brake levers, the standard clamps are swapped for GS style clamps, and these have additional screw threads for the mirrors. Additional Wunderlich mirror extenders can be added to raise the mirrors up and out (away from switch gear) providing extra width for those of us with broad shoulders.

1. Remove the clamp from each side and replace with the GS style clamp

2. Fix in the mirror and tighten to suit

THE PARTS

51167715861 Mirror Left

51167715862 Mirror Right

32728532971 CLAMP (One for each side)*

Optional

Wunderlich Mirror Extender Kit 8160446-447

*If your RT has the BMW LED Lights added, then you need to get 32728534366 C1 Pipe Clamp which has the extra screw fitting for the light switch

Hi Pad,

Your set up is nice, much like my old Brit bikes, but does make for a hugely wide bike!

Not wide at all, or at least the mirrors can be easily rotated inward or outward as much as you like. I think that with the way I have mine set up it is narrower than the stock mirrors.

The Napolean bar end mirrors can be swung inward for parking and have a detent that holds them in place when riding. I used them on my 06RT and they helped a lot. The 14RT seems to have better mirrors and I am reluctant to add another set as it detracts from the looks. Maybe I'm too vain? ;)

I go for safety first, and IMHO you can't have too many mirrors. I also always do headcheck before changing lane, even if my mirrors tells me that it's clear. Just one of those habit that I had learned a very long time ago, and it stuck.

Pad,

Weston

+1 on the safety!

BTW, how are those mirrors as far as vibration is concerned? I had always wondered about that.

Pad,

Weston

+1 on the safety!

BTW, how are those mirrors as far as vibration is concerned? I had always wondered about that.

Pad,

No vibration whatsoever.

Weston

Yep, I put on those same adapters and added Wunderlich mirrors, for the very reason you mention: to be able to see what's behind. I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.

*If your RT has the BMW LED Lights added, then you need to get 32728534366 C1 Pipe Clamp which has the extra screw fitting for the light switch

"BMW LED Lights?" Please say more. I'm not aware of BMW LED Lights; a new factory option or dealer installed accessory? Does this have something to do with the little yellow and red objects in your first pic?

"BMW LED Lights?" Please say more. I'm not aware of BMW LED Lights; a new factory option or dealer installed accessory? Does this have something to do with the little yellow and red objects in your first pic?

The yellow and red box is the WarmNSafe remote heat troller.

This BMW pdf has the LED lights on BMW farkles

Also this is the retrofit US details LED light assembly

Thanks, Over; I got it.

My dealer never mentioned the BMW auxiliary lights, suggesting Clearwater's instead. That's what I put on my new RT.

WarmNSafe, eh; I'll have to check that out. I believe I saw somebody wired their Gerber controller to the battery. I have Gerber gear and want to mount the controller to eliminate fumbling with it on the move. You've obviously solved that. Good on ya!

I used to run Gerbings on my Honda ST1300, but when I ended up having two bikes in the garage, the WarmNSafe Remote Heat Troller seemed to be a better option as the bike(s) only needed a 12 power from the battery (wired up direct with their own inline fuse).

Now Im down to the RT, I got a plastic kitchen board (used for chopping) Like this one from Zeal as it would not need painting or rust. I then went to local Maplin (Tandy) electrical hopyy store and hot a waterproof box and cut two holes in for the heat troller. The toller is waterproof but I used the box to mount it on the now cut down tray with double sided foam tape (the troller doesn't have any mounting holes).

I now use a complete suit from WarmNSafe and am much happier with their quality than that of Gerbings.

Thanks, Over; I appreciate the explanation. I don't know if SafeNWarm is available in the US (haven't heard of it before), but I'll ask around.

It's Warm N Safe, they are a US company with manufacturing in the US. They made controllers for Gerbings, until Gerbings gave their design to the Chinese.

Jay

Here is what I did:

I found these mirrors online. I also found these brackets on line. The bracket I had on previous RT I owned, but on the new one, I had to reshape the hole for the screw.

The mirror and the receiver female are reverse thread.

You can purchase both of these items on line rather for much less than the Wunderlich option.

Best tool for mounting the Heat Troller box is 3M Dual Lock.

Many times stronger than velcro. For max strength you can mix the 250 type with the next smaller sixe (400 something number).

Thanks, Over; I appreciate the explanation. I don't know if SafeNWarm is available in the US (haven't heard of it before), but I'll ask around.

It's Warm N Safe, they are a US company with manufacturing in the US. They made controllers for Gerbings, until Gerbings gave their design to the Chinese.

Jay

They are a US company but import products. I am going through a nightmare getting some gloves to fit which were manufactured in Pakistan.

Jay

They are a US company but import products. I am going through a nightmare getting some gloves to fit which were manufactured in Pakistan.

That's a sham, in the past they pride them sleeves on made in America. Keep us posted on your outcome, in the past they always stood behind what they sold.

Jay

Jay

That's a sham, in the past they pride them sleeves on made in America. Keep us posted on your outcome, in the past they always stood behind what they sold.

Jay

Seems like they got a batch in that had the wrong size tag. Now it is try each pair on and find two alike and then relabel it. Hopfully it will work out.

Archived