IGNORED

Power Outlets

Albert

My R12RT is ordered and it has the optional power socket as an option. Just a couple of questions:

1. Is this a second outlet or is there none without it.

2. The outlet appears to be an odd size (e.g. not a cigarette lighter size). Do they come with some kind of adapter or will I need to buy that too.

Thanks in advance.

Al

There is one standard, the option adds the second.

The BMW (and John Deere tractor!) socket size is indeed unique. Go to here for plugs, adaptors, etc. - Powerlet

My R12RT is ordered and it has the optional power socket as an option. Just a couple of questions:

1. Is this a second outlet or is there none without it.

2. The outlet appears to be an odd size (e.g. not a cigarette lighter size). Do they come with some kind of adapter or will I need to buy that too.

Hella (among other European electrical equipment makers) has this as a standard item. It is a standard European plug. In fact, many European "universal" cigarette lighter plugs sold for aftermarket use, have this plug with a snap-on cigarette ligher plug all in one. To use it here, you just pull off the cigarette lighter adapter.

Check with a company that sells Hella lights and so forth. Hirschmann is another company that makes these things, but less well represented here in North America.

Bob.

So then do the "BMW accessory" sockets power down with the CANBUS? Or to put the question another way, can one use a non-BMW charger with a BMW accessory plug?

Greg

So then do the "BMW accessory" sockets power down with the CANBUS? Or to put the question another way, can one use a non-BMW charger with a BMW accessory plug?

Greg

If the do, then just rewire them straight to the battery. There is no benefit in controlling the availablity of power from an accessory socket via canbus or anything else.

Bob.

So then do the "BMW accessory" sockets power down with the CANBUS?
Yes they do.

Or to put the question another way, can one use a non-BMW charger with a BMW accessory plug?
Not specifically, but as Bob said, the best answer is to wire one of them (fused of course) directly from the battery. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Archived